oil pump

Fraser

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi eh.

we are looking at having the engine cases High Temp, Powder Coated.

Looking around inside, and taking everything out.... the oil pump is the question.

Is there a gasket in there ? Should she (oil pump ass & gasket) be coming out for the high temps of the powder coating then ?

While were all here...... :) is that upgrade "oil pump" ( I see there abouts being offered), worth the money then .....while/if it's apart ?

THANK YOU
fraser

I'd remove the oil pump, best to see how the inside looks anyways. It does not use a gasket.
Stock pump does fine unless you are headed for the ragged edge of power AND abuse.

Thank You Gary.....

I'll be asking many questions for this build, what an amazing web site. Bought a torque wrench the other week, things are looking up ! ( it's got instructions EH )

f.

The first quick check on a running bike is to open a valve cover and see what the oil flow looks like. If that appears weak then a look inside the pump would be next. Obvious scoring or slop on the lobes and sides of the housing would be the first item. If it looks good, odds are very high it is good. If it looks thrashed ie lots of scoring on vanes and or housing then you will have to decide on replacement. The repair manual probably gives side clearance specs, usually measured with feeler gauges. Our XS650s have mostly ball and roller bearings, they do not need all that much oil pressure to be happy. Plain bearing engines need and get higher pressure oil pumps. Generally the pump is fine, so if you do have a bad one a flea bay clutch cover with oil pump still in it is a likely way to replace it. You could remove the pump and turn around and resell the cover..... If the housing is OK the gears new from mikes are about $28.00 Mikes also offers a high volume pump for $200.

Last edited:
5Twins and Gary, the compression on a cold engine (bike won't start now though it did fine 2 days ago) was 95-100 on both sides, plugs out, throttle wide open, slides propped up. Ran it again with a bit of oil in each plug to test O-rings, but got the same thing. Suggests valves, so adjusted valve clearances hoping this might help, found all clearances off despite having adjusted them a couple weeks ago and only having taken the bike out once since. Valves seem lubricated, but obviously compression is the bigger concern.

Gary (sorry to be doubling up posts, but I'm erring on the side of inclusion), the pods were clean two days ago when I last took her out then absentmindedly left the petcock on for two days...ouch. Never done that before. Sump filter was torn and had what looked like bearing grease collected on the magnets; replaced filter with a new one from Mike's. Changed oil, re-cleaned small filter to find very small bits of aluminum. Otherwise the oil didn't look metallic.

I'm now looking into how to address low compression and whether this means an engine rebuild...

Back