Oil Spot(ted)

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I came across this on Instagram from the profile of a German Flat Track racer.

XS650Sump1.jpgXS650Sump2.jpg

Really interesting design worth sharing and has certainly got me thinking.

Daniel,

I sent him an enquiring message and he confirmed my suspicions, it’s a spin on filter in place of the starter motor that’s plumbed into the sump plate reservoir.

What intrigues me is that when I was talking to Rick of Smedspeed when I was last over at his place he mentioned he’s stopped producing his oil reservoir kits as he thinks there’s issues with the oil not circulating, this would solve that problem I think?

Daniel.

Sound reasonable; I will watch any further info you divulge. My electric leg works well so not sure I would give up the space. But I may go the Smedspeed big bore and look at that option at that time.
Thanks for the update.

I sent him an enquiring message and he confirmed my suspicions, it’s a spin on filter in place of the starter motor that’s plumbed into the sump plate reservoir.

What intrigues me is that when I was talking to Rick of Smedspeed when I was last over at his place he mentioned he’s stopped producing his oil reservoir kits as he thinks there’s issues with the oil not circulating, this would solve that problem I think?

Daniel.
When you use the term "oil reservoir" what are referring to?

Thanks Daniel. I have not seen one of those. I am considering Smedspeeds oil sump/filter kit. I haven't heard anything negative about it. Have you?

That’s the oil reservoir in lieu of starter motor. Rick doesn’t like them as feels the oil doesn’t circulate.

The oil sump/spin on filter is great 👍🏻

Daniel.

Back