ok I am an idiot sprocket question

My experience with buying and using industrial chain went like this: The supplier had many chains they simply would not recommend because of the higher speeds required for motorcycles but they did have some high speed chain that was comparable to motorcycle chain. It was slightly cheaper than MC chain so I bought it and all was well. But they did say their other chains were unsuited for motorcycles.

And maybe my local industrial supply gets so many requests they stock a suitable chain.

If they don't ask you what you're putting the chain on then run away.

Somebody somewhere is selling MC chain to MC dealers and I'd almost bet the seller is some sort of industrial supply company.

But you'll notice I'm not talking about ag chain...

I certainly sympathize with gmiller217. Having a disabled bike right at the start of riding season and not being able to fix it is very frustrating. But, when ti comes to chain, brakes and tires on a motorcycle, you do not want to compromise. Missing out on one season of riding is bad enough, but missing out on all future riding seasons is worse.

Thank you Pete ... My bike is not totally disabled because I bought all that I thought I would need for this season (still saving for one of your systems lol) My front sprocket has some wear on the teeth and I was just wondering which way to put it on just to get me by a couple of weeks ... if I can use my bike for my daily commute for a couple of weeks the savings in fuel alone will buy me a chain and both new sprockets. ... evidently I rode the bike like that last year because I bought it, changed the oil tires and exhaust, and rode it all summer but basically only on weekends because I only put 1500 miles on it all summer. My daily commute would put about 250 miles on my bike in a week ... $20 to fill the bike with super twice or $70 to fill the jeep once with regular. two weeks of running the bike will save me $100 which will almost pay for a chain and both sprockets ... I too am of the mind of replacing anything questionable My chain looks fairly new (very little stretch to it barely any adjustment made before it was tight when I put my new tires on it)

gggGary, I may take you up on that ... have to see after I pay bills this Friday Thanks

On your front sprocket, the wear comes from the sprocket pulling on the chain rollers.
As you look at the sprocket the teeth at the top will have the worn side toward the left side of the tooth.
To check chain wear, as it sits on rear sprocket,pull on the chain. If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket 1/2 a tooth it's worn enough to need replacement.
Leo

On your front sprocket, the wear comes from the sprocket pulling on the chain rollers.
As you look at the sprocket the teeth at the top will have the worn side toward the left side of the tooth.
To check chain wear, as it sits on rear sprocket,pull on the chain. If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket 1/2 a tooth it's worn enough to need replacement.
Leo
Thank Leo that is the answer I have been looking for ... and exactly what I had thought but was unsure. (I am ASE certified master automobile tech but the chains I deal with aren't the same construction :laugh: ) Cars are my work but Bikes are my hobby

My chain looks fairly new (very little stretch to it barely any adjustment made before it was tight when I put my new tires on it)
if you replace the sprockets replace the chain too, wear on the sprockets means the chain is worn... save your money and get both, old sprockets eat new chains, old chains eat new sprockets

Stock Xs650's are about equal to a period Triumph. Maybe a bit more but close. A good industrial (not agricultural) chain will last many thousand miles. Industrial chains have solid, not split rollers. They are typically not o-ring sealed and so require frequent attention and lubrication. The same as period chains back in the day.

if you replace the sprockets replace the chain too, wear on the sprockets means the chain is worn... save your money and get both, old sprockets eat new chains, old chains eat new sprockets
Yes I do plan on chain and new sprockets ... It was towards the beginning of my post you quoted. That is just commons sense. My first post in this thread was to figure out which way to install my gear so I can ride for a couple of weeks to save the money for the chain and gears. I'm not trying to be an A$$ but XsLeo was the only one that really answered my question without alot of naysaying and advice I don't need. Thanks everyone for the help an offers though :thumbsup:

Back