OK, So Last Night I was Excited, Tonite Not So Much.

Renegade600

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So last night I was able to successfully start my once basket case of a bike. Today was another story.

Last night I was able to get running my '82 almost too easy. Even though it did not appear to have the strongest spark I've seen (on other types of engines) it did spark, and it did start pretty easy. I ran it several times last night, and once the carbs were tuned a little bit, she would pop off almost instantly (bike apparently had not been run for several years)...

Today, went to start it and not a pop, nada......

Here is what I have, '82 with 7 pin tci, cut down wiring based off of several of the simple wiring scematics from this site, along with a TC Bros simple wire kit. I added electric start to the system. I made sure to keep everything simple and fused the lights, ignition, and brakelights each with 10A fuses and then the main I fused with 20A

Everything works as it should. I have (2) TCI boxes that were both good yesterday, but both do the same thing today....no spark or just one set of sparks during the initial roll over, then none.

I suspect the main ignition coil as I can get no resistance at all when I connect my meter to both of the plug caps, I understand it should have about 11K ohms, and to add both of the 5K caps...strange how it worked so well last night, then just over night it's open. This looks like the original coil (hopefully for this bike).

The other thing I checked was the pickup coil. I get 702 ohms from the orange wire to the black, but nothing from the gray to black. I checked for a broken gray wire and it appears to be ok...I'm assuming one of the advance coils in the pickup is bad. Does the gray wire act as an ititial ignition signal or is it the advance signal...I assume if one of the coils is bad it would still run (or at least spark)?

Not sure why both coils (main and pickup) could suddenly take a dump.

I do have a key with a starter button. The key switch is a on-off-on type. I have it wired so I have ignition on one "on " side then both ingition and lights on the other "on" side. Could I possibly have gotten some kind of spike starting the bike only on ignition, then swing it thru the off position to lights?

Checked all grounds and connections, however motor is just currently sitting in the frame, all bolts are installed, but nothing except one frame bolt is tightened up. Could this be not fully grounded?

Anyway, any help with my long winded post would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

The two sections of the pickup let the electronics know the rpm of the motor, and its pretty ingenious hardware-only brain knows how much advance to create, from that. Ingenious by the standards of 1980. Ingenious by the standards of 2011 in that it would take a modern microprocessor burdened engineer a while to figure out how to do it.

It sounds like you need a new pickup and a new coil. Measure them well to make sure you're reading right though. If they're really bad, look for shorts to ground through them that would cause a high current to flow, or maybe a real high charging voltage. That's a start at least.

Last edited:
It could also be coincidence that they both wore out at the same time.

Battery is brand new gel type. I did charge it again last nite and it is between 12.2 and 12.5 with no load.....it was a little low last night however after cranking for awhile so I put the charger on....

The short to ground is interesting thought. I did notice that when I had it running the other nite the system was charging really well at high idle.....I was getting 14.3 to 14.5 volts at the battery terminals when the bike was running at high idle...I'm just guessing about 2000rpm as I do not have a tach....I always heard these do not really charge well, so I assumed that this was good....maybe not?

I did pull the pickup out last nite around midnight and took it in the house, tested orange to black 720 ohms and gray to black nothing. I also pulled the sheathing off and tested the continuity of the gray wire as close to the pickup as I could and the wire does not have any breaks...so it looks like the pickup is bad to me. This was a used one I had got, and i do not recall if i tested both sides the same before install.

I do get a slight spark the instant i hit the button.

I suspect the old ignition coil gave up. I was running the engine quite a bit that first night, and i suppose the heat could have saturated and killed the coil if it was weak. I will pull the tank off and check it on the bench to eliminate any ground issues...

I'm at a loss.....I wish I had the additional cash for a Pamco, but I would need all the point plates, advance rods, etc. as the engine is an '82 and has none of that. Not sure how it all assembles in the motor anyway....
Tom

Last edited:
troubleshooting is you, I may run up to Marshfield later today....... I am fairly deep in ignition parts.

Hhha...gggary I'm really weak with electrics and trouble shooting for the most part, I just study and force myself to understand how it works....

I'm now concerned that I somehow fried this stuff (even though the parts are all 30 years old). It just counfounds me that I had a sweet running bike, shut it off, dis-connected the battery, went to bed, went to work, came home hooked up the same battery, and no spark. no coil resistance, one side dead on trigger.....talk about a bummer...

I keep thinking I'm missing something, but I can't see what. I've gone through my wiring, and it is pretty simple, all individual fuses and grounds....seemed to charge good, engine spooled up fine.

Do you have a spare trigger in your pile of ignition parts?
Tom

You might have done this already but strip a bit of the grey wire and measure to black that way to see if the connector is bad.

Back