Old Brown

A good resource for all things vintage Yammie enduros.

https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php
Good luck over there, lots of good info but the people are not nearly as friendly or helpful as they are here.
Congrats on your steal, thats pretty much the pinnacle of 70's big bore 2stroke trail machines. Side effects may include but are not limited to: permagrin, rooster tail, arm pump, bean oil smell, blue smoke, joy-gasm, gas mixing, competitive tail view, and mud face.

Yep my Monday just got much better. I over the years have acquired quite a few Kawasakis in my quest to fill my need for one of the Yamaha enduros. For the last 40 years I have gone to look at one for sale it's gone before I got there. Was pretty convinced that would be the case with this one .

It's funny my true love was one of the early 360's with the black with red pin stripes.
This one is even better for my use. Between me and my neighbor have 50 acres or so to ride on. The problem is a lot of it is big rocks. The IT fits the bill perfectly .

Rusty, thanks for the parts links. I told the seller I was going home to order crank seals because every 2 stroke I have owned needed them. Good to know about the the reeds . Had forgotten the horror of swallowing one.

The bike is in pretty good shape for it's age. I plan to leave it pretty much the way it is other than routine stuff. I may put a banshee cdi on it, replace some rubber bits and just ride it.

Last edited:
I'm almost afraid to try and start it. With no kill switch I don't know if I could stall it to shut it off.

The problem is a lot of it is big rocks. The IT fits the bill perfectly .

Good to know about the the reeds .

The bike is in pretty good shape for it's age. I plan to leave it pretty much the way it is other than routine stuff. I may put a banshee cdi on it, replace some rubber bits and just ride it.

There isn't a whole lot of room for improvement on the IT400, with good tires it will crawl over most anything you have the cajones to try and go over.

Reeds & Silencer are pretty much it.

I'm almost afraid to try and start it. With no kill switch I don't know if I could stall it to shut it off.
I would be wary as well, IF you do have a leaky crank seal it could run away pretty quick and then it'll be a top end job as well... Kill switch should just be a wire from the condensor to ground through a momentary switch.

Yep looking for the black and white wire as we speak. I have a kill switch floating around on my desk somewhere. I don't think the crank seals are all that bad as the seller has been riding it for the last 4 yrs. He was prepared to start it for me. He's a old Bultaco racer from the 70's . They will be replaced along with the reeds before I run it much.
Funny when I kicked it my thought was damn this thing has good compression for 40 yr old bike. 397cc explains that.

"and be ready to touch it to the handlebars".

Jim you and I must of hung out in a previous life. That's how my mini enduro and my KE125 pit bike worked. My bikes have always tended towards ghetto.

• That's probably the most politely correct sentence I've seen in awhile. I would state what I think of the process but the internet would censor it before I could finish typing it.
:lmao: Ok, you're familiar than... :agree:

Seems a Blaster iggy would be a damn near drop in replacement.

I think the banshee system is pretty the same stuff. Main difference is dual vs single output coil. It is a ac cdi. I have a complete banshee setup in the barn . Total about $60.00 on Flea bay. Mounting of the backing plate is the only question.

BTW it's a blaster pickup we have been working with on the Gonzo project.

Looks like it may be a muttley/
75 400MX frame
76 dt400C engine
77-78 IT400 gas tank and plastics.

The chain case cover is stamped magnesium which I assume is not a dt part. probably a IT400 part.
The 76 engine should have a CDI installed already.

I'm even more excited about the whole thing now. Gonna be interesting detective work ahead.
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 4.47.32 PM.png

Back