One petcock feeding two BS38's

I got that blue line from an ultra light airplane supplier (LEAF) it has been on various tanks on and off for years with about every kind of gas you can find, no issues with it. I'll have to go look for some labels now. I like the blue color better than the yellow for some reason.

I noticed that for the 77 carb the tube in the back, between the two carbs has a "T". Is that necessary? When I removed the carbs that tube was solid across both carbs. What is the purpose for that tube, is it a breather hose? I am using a 81 fuel tank that is a single petcock.

A picture would be so handy. The '77 carbs had two separate inlets, one on each carb with a cross-over tube (solid) between the two. The later 34's had a single inlet "T" feeding both carbs.

Attachments

• carb inlets.jpg
    carb inlets.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Here is a picture of my carbs from a 1977, it does not have the "T". So now that I have a fuel tank with one petcock, all I have to do is plug up one carb and run the fuel line to the other carb?

IMG_1151_zpsnptktays.jpg

Or you could put a pan head screw in a short piece of hose. Capped and done.
I use the wye fittings.

A hardware store, not sure which one.
But they are on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Brass-H...851248?hash=item541bcfb9f0:g:vdUAAOSw~OdVW1YP

One could use a "T" fitting for this also.
Kinda gets crowded in that area with fittings, filters etc.
You might consider nj1639's idea of moving the fuel line to the outside instead of between the two carbs (done this also).
Easy access to the filter if you want to change it mid-trip.
The gas is gravity fed (not vacuum, vacuum just operates a valve) so as long as the carbs are lower than the tank you could put 9 yards of fuel line in there and it would still work. And what could be prettier than blue, red or yellow hose everywhere?

I just spent the mid morning plumbing a set of '38's for the '77.

One could insert a T into the cross over bowl to bowl link, turn the T facing downward and then run a line up to the tank on the outside of the left carb, including a filter. Petcock would be best with a downward facing outlet.
If I had a spare set of the brass tube inserts to cut the bulbed ends off and felt like sacrificing about an inch off the ends of a BS34 T.......

Wound up stripping the plastic off the 34 T and using that for a single line feed from the tank and then T'ing to the two carb inlets.
The T is being fed fuel from the left arm of the T. The normal inlet side of the T feeds the left carb, down, using a length of fuel line to basically weld the T Inlet and the carb inlet together. This allows the the main fuel line from the tank to set between the top of the carb intake and the top of the carb....nice space there, keeps things tidy, doesn't interfere with the Uni pod and no problem getting the carbs back onto the engine.

The right arm of the T feeds the right carb on a bend, downward, using enough fuel line to get there.

The aftermarket petcock I'm using here allows you to feed out of the front or back and came with elbow or straight brass fittings.
I'm coming out of the back of the petcock with a straight fitting, going into my fuel filter-again with a length of fuel line long enough to basically weld the fitting to the filter, and then enough fuel line to loop down comfortably to the T.
Side cover fits fine and the fuel filter is visible.

Here is a picture of my carbs from a 1977, it does not have the "T". So now that I have a fuel tank with one petcock, all I have to do is plug up one carb and run the fuel line to the other carb?

IMG_1151_zpsnptktays.jpg

On a little different note. The other day on one of Velocities auto shows, the mechanic was discussing using worm clamps on plastic fittings. We have all done it for years. He said they are finding that the pressure on the underside of the gear part causes plastic to crack there, as it is not uniform pressure all around, like a spring clamp. If you take a worm clamp off a rubber hose you can see the pressure spot. Just food for thought.

Back