over charging.

I think 13.5 is just barely acceptable, like if you got nothin better. I was there at first because of tarnished twisted p.o. connections hidden under tape. When I discovered there was 14+ elsewhere on the bike I tracked the problem down. 13.5 charging, for me the problem was could not count on it turning the starter if temps were below 50.

Months ago I found an interesting article about charging:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/howitworks.shtml
I just read it again and the author says that in cold weather the battery needs a higher charge rate. I guess my observed 14.3V in cold weather and 14.1V in hot weather ties in with this well. All articles I have read claim that 14.2V is the optimum for maximum charge rate versus minimum electrolysis rate. After 1000 miles at 14.2V I found that I did not need to add any water to my battery cells. Proof is in the eating????

I think what you've got is about as good as it gets. I'm using a sealed battery now so no worries about water levels any more. I did use a couple wet cells before this, and have always used them for many years on my bikes. Adding water periodically was just something that had to be done. I don't recall ever having a battery boil dry on me. Apparently I never had a bad over-charge problem. But back then, I never monitored or checked charging rates that closely. Even with my 650, I didn't start close monitoring until I had the bike for several years. It always charged and the battery never went dead on me, so I was happy, lol.

This 650 has been a great teacher for me. I had a pretty good general knowledge of bikes already just from owning and riding them for so many years, but this bike has taught me so much more. One area in particular has been the charging circuit. I never knew 14.2 was ideal, or anything about the different kinds of regulators. When I finally did get around to closely checking my 650's charging output, I found it wasn't that great, only in the mid to upper 13's. Then I discovered I had an adjustable regulator so I "fixed" the problem. Then I discovered that even though I upped the output, it wasn't very consistent. I "fixed" that with the automotive regulator.

I'm dealing with the $200 Special charging system now. This is an '83 with the combined reg/rec. The bike wasn't charging when we got it. That's why the guy "put it out to pasture" about a dozen years ago. I hoped I had fixed that because I found the chain had cut into the alternator wires and cut some. Well, the bike has finally been fired up and it does indeed now charge - but too good, lol. I measured just over 16 volts when revved. So, I swapped on and tested some spare reg/rec units I had. They seem to have fixed the problem but as Gary mentioned several posts up, each has a little different set point and output. Best one I had only puts out barely 14 volts when revved, the other only high 13's. I'm in the process of cleaning all the connections on the "better" one, maybe that will improve it's output some. But, for the time being, that's what I'll run. Just under 14 is certainly better than 16+, lol.

I'm guessing that some of the alternator wires getting cut and possibly shorting to something or one another fried the original regulator portion of the combined unit.

Back