Overkill? lol...need input

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got a few Desmosedici (Radial calipers) calipers laying around and thought I could use one. I know I don't need all that braking power because the OEM ones with good lines, good pads and a good master work very well. Still I want to mount it along with a floating rear rotor. I will need to make a custom mount for the caliper, this is what I had in mind. made out of 3/4" steel and a steel spacer. Please share your input on how to make it stronger or perfect the design.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2012-10-06 11.54.59.jpg
    2012-10-06 11.54.59.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 186
huh? I am trying to install the Brembo. Dual fronts and and one rear. Im just working on the rear for now

I got a few Desmosedici (Radial calipers) calipers laying around and thought I could use one. I know I don't need all that braking power because the OEM ones with good lines, good pads and a good master work very well. Still I want to mount it along with a floating rear rotor. I will need to make a custom mount for the caliper, this is what I had in mind. made out of 3/4" steel and a steel spacer. Please share your input on how to make it stronger or perfect the design.

Thanks

Here are some pics that show how I mounted Brembo 4 piston calipers. While the stock calipers gave good braking, these give excellent braking. I use the stock rotors and stock master cylinders.

There is no need to use steel for the adapter brackets, as it just adds extra unsprung weight. If you were to use steel, 3/8" is more than strong enough. 3/4" steel would be extreme overkill.

I used 3/8" aluminum to make the front and rear caliper brackets. Aluminum is very easy to work with and polishes up very nicely.

The stock rotors and the goldline Brembo calipers are almost a perfect fit together. The stock rotor offset, does not require any spacer to be used under the rotor. I did use 3 steel washers at the back wheel axle. The front only needed 1 thin shim washer.

I doubt that you would need the braking power of 2 Brembo calipers at the front. However, if you are going for the "look", then 2 calipers would certainly do the job.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    Brembo Rear Mounting.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 189
Thanks for your input. I gave several of those calipers laying around, but I want to use up the monoblocs that I have. I would like to use aluminum but I can not weld it. Your caliper bolts are at a 90 degree angle, I have radial calipers, my bolts are parallel to my pads. The reason I want to use 3/4" is so I can drill from the top and tap threads for my mounting bolts.

Thanks for your input. I gave several of those calipers laying around, but I want to use up the monoblocs that I have. I would like to use aluminum but I can not weld it. Your caliper bolts are at a 90 degree angle, I have radial calipers, my bolts are parallel to my pads. The reason I want to use 3/4" is so I can drill from the top and tap threads for my mounting bolts.

OK, I see what you are trying to do. I have seen many examples of using modern calipers mounted on our older bikes, but I have never seen a radial mounted caliper used on the old bikes. Perhaps you need to take a look around at how the stock radial calipers are mounted on the newer bikes. 3/4 " steel is just to large and heavy to be used unless you had a machine shop mill down its thickness except in the area that you plan to tap threads.

Another choice would be to sell your monoblocs, and use the Brembo calipers similar to what I have used. What about using 3/4" aluminum...................why do you need to weld?

To do what you are planning, seems like quite a challenge. I'd be interested to see how you would do it.

OK, I see what you are trying to do. I have seen many examples of using modern calipers mounted on our older bikes, but I have never seen a radial mounted caliper used on the old bikes. Perhaps you need to take a look around at how the stock radial calipers are mounted on the newer bikes. 3/4 " steel is just to large and heavy to be used unless you had a machine shop mill down its thickness except in the area that you plan to tap threads.

Another choice would be to sell your monoblocs, and use the Brembo calipers similar to what I have used. What about using 3/4" aluminum...................why do you need to weld?

To do what you are planning, seems like quite a challenge. I'd be interested to see how you would do it.

So I finally got around to doing my monoblocs. Its just mocked up and tacked but thats pretty much the final look.

Attachments

• 2013-03-15 20.04.50.jpg
    2013-03-15 20.04.50.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 178
Looks real good! Most bikes seem to use a 2 piston caliper on the rear. I chose to use a 4 piston on the rear, which is possibly a little over kill. Your monoblock will certainly give amazeing brakeing. The proof will be how it works out on the highway.

After one season I am quite happy with my 4 piston Brembo calipers. I found the semi-metallic pads gave very good brakeing, but caused scoring on my stock discs. I'm switching over to organic (Galfer green) this season, as they are supposed to be gentler on the discs. If you're using stainless discs, they should be fine with semi-metallic pads.

It works very well, I've tested it out and its great. Its a bit cold so tires are sliding but other than that they work great. Brembos on these bikes are over kill but are fun. I need to finish my fork brace for the front. The front caliper works great and its enough to stop the bike by itself but i love sliding the rear. Lol

1 off ebay of a crashed Desmo, and I also have a friend who is a Ducati tech so he has a nice collection of goodies. I always buy out his braking and suspension stuff. He has a nice set of Ohlins TTX but they wont work well on my bike :( Anyways, the D16RR calipers are not all that. They are the same as the 848/1*98 (cast) monoblocs but mine have drilled pistons. I drool over the calipers in the picture I attached. I wouldn't use them, just hang them on my wall. lol

Attachments

• cal_xa3j7f0f1_1_p202846_f101df.jpg
    cal_xa3j7f0f1_1_p202846_f101df.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 125
Hey Desmodromic you said you've got a few of those goldline brembo's lying around? Any chance you'd be willing to part with two of em?

If so shoot me a pm with details.

Thanks

ide wear it around my neck!! BLING BLING!
Why need better brakes on the rear? the stock drum locks up at the slightest touchs Does this set up prevent the lock up unless u want it?
Does look badass, though. great repurpose.

ide wear it around my neck!! BLING BLING!
Why need better brakes on the rear? the stock drum locks up at the slightest touchs Does this set up prevent the lock up unless u want it?
Does look badass, though. great repurpose.

The Brembo calipers I use give great modulation. You can have as little or as much braking as you want. There's no unintentional lock ups.

I second what retieredgentleman said. @angus67- every time I see your avatar I laugh lol its too funny.

Back