What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Back in the 70`s we sold a "Sun Gun" that was a incandescent bulb that was supposed to show true color. I think it was about 1500W and could only be on for about 10 seconds. There were also true color (sunlight) bulbs for inside the paint booth. I couldn`t tell much difference.:shrug:

BTW is "Just Another Brick in the Wall" anything like the Disco song "Brick House" by the Commodores?:yikes:
Yes, exactly the same. NOT!!!

I suppose for a guy doing touch up and repair work it'd be handy.
The nice thing, at least with the large ones, is that if you turn off the paint room lights, you can check for coverage. Nothing worse than rolling a cleared car out in the sun and finding "holiday's". Don't ask how I know.

1680141301523.png

1680141332117.png

1680141379127.png

Thanks Vincent. What you got in mind?

Street tracker stuff, once I make up my feeble mind which way I want to go tank wise.

I have so many ideas to try to narrow down.

Traditional yellow with speedblocks on fiberglass tank and tail section or....red "Special" tank, with white side insets, same red/white on fiberglass tail section.

Street tracker stuff, once I make up my feeble mind which way I want to go tank wise.

I have so many ideas to try to narrow down.

Traditional yellow with speedblocks on fiberglass tank and tail section or....red "Special" tank, with white side insets, same red/white on fiberglass tail section.
There's a line right now, but yeah, whenever you're ready, send me a PM.

Still workin' out how to proceed with JP's 3 color stripe scheme. I don't like goin' light on dark, but sometimes ya jus' gotta break the rules. :rolleyes:

So the plan is, black first, red second and yellow last. For that to work I need to see if the red will cover the black satisfactorily.
Made a test coupon from scrap alum.... taped off the center and shot black on both ends...

1680210672424.png

Then I taped off down the center (middle) and shot 1 medium coat of red on the left end. Let that dry then pulled the tape and shot another medium coat across the whole thing. What that gives us is 2 coats on the left, 1 on the right with the center (no black) that gives us a fair representation of the pure red.... both single and two coats.

1680210949090.png

On the right you can clearly see the black underneath. The left (2 coats) is almost indistinguishable from the bare middle. It'll work.
thumbsup.gif

So... black, red, yellow it is. Makes it a fair bit easier to shoot.

Only taped up the right side for the yellow... easier that way... for me anyway. Not enough time left today for it to dry and mask off the other side.
...we'll get there...

1680828366251.png

It’s gonna be beautiful! Your most intricate tank yet?

Thanks Bob. Yeah, maybe flames and such when I was a kid... but this is the most intricate of my most recent foray into painting.
4 colors is a bit much for these shaky ol' hands. ;)

Back