PAMCO + E Advance + VM 34 Idle/timing question. (SOLVED)

system9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a PAMCO with the E Advancer into my 1981 XS650 sp2. Bike still has the stock rotor.
I've had the VM 34 carbs though for some time, and know the ins and outs of those pretty well.
My question is this, after installing the PAMCO, the bike started and idled extremely well with the timing advanced. If I retarded the timing by turning the plate counter-clockwise in order to get the timing marks to align, the bike would stall, rpm too low. On VM-34 carbs idle is set by physically raising the slides with independant idle screws. In order to keep the bike from stalling with the PAMCO I have to raise the slides a significant amount more than when the bike was idling at around 1000 - 1200 rpms with the stock TCI.
The slides are so high that I am getting some hanging idle upon throttle release in order to match the timing marks. Is this normal or common when using VM34 carbs and a PAMCO?
Thanks.

Update....Sometimes I rush into things and then after sitting quietly at midnight things occur to me. When setting timing is the "U" symbol on the stock rotor the advance timing mark, or the idle timing mark? The PAMCO instructions say to use the "F" symbol, but the Specials do not have an "F"

Update Update, I found the answer in a post from 5twins
You are going to want to check the full advance setting. You don't want to be running the timing too advanced. There was no full advance mark on the later bikes but you can use the left side of the drain notch on the bottom of the cover opening .....

I assumed the furthest mark I had was for advance timing, apparently the TCI bikes do not even have one. Thanks 5twins.

Last edited:
Yes, no full advance mark on the TCI bikes, just an idle timing "range" mark, and yes, that is the "U" on that little plate .....

IdleTiming.jpg

Advance.jpg

The idle timing range is 13° to 17° BTDC, or about 4°. Having a range was more important on the earlier bikes to compensate for wear in their mechanical advance units. Wear would cause them to advance more than the 25° they did when new. The idle timing would have to be retarded slightly to keep the full advance from going too far. Cam chain stretch will also change the idle timing firing point on the points models. It doesn't affect the TCI bikes because that ignition was triggered off the crank. It could affect your Pamco in the distant future if the chain wears out.

If you've been reading some of the timing threads, you may have noticed many of us like to run our timing slightly retarded. Not much, only a couple degrees. I think these bikes perform better at high RPMs and speeds that way. It also wards off pinging in hot weather. Now that you have the ability to adjust your timing, you could tinker with this. I would suggest trying the advance near the right side of the drain notch, idle at the right "leg" of the "U".

Last edited:
Back