Perishable Parts In Engine?

Khapty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wonder if there are parts inside the XS650 engine that 'age' with time. My bike was stored for 30 years and I'm restoring it now. It's a 79 model and was barely used on weekends for the first few years so everything is stock. I think that any parts which are made of rubber, plastic or other non-metal materials would have aged and will probably fail if put back in use. For e.g. the pivot arm of timing chain tensioner, the carb diaphragms. I'm sure members who have restored stock engines can give very valuable advice and tips. All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

About the only thing known to fail is the front cam chain guide. It's a rubber strip bonded (glued I think) to an aluminum base and now due to their age, many are failing. The bond is giving out and the rubber strip sometimes falls right off. Here's how I found mine, about 2/3 of the way unbonded. It hadn't fallen completely off yet but was well on it's way to doing so .....

Front Guide2.jpg

About the only thing known to fail is the front cam chain guide. It's a rubber strip bonded (glued I think) to an aluminum base and now due to their age, many are failing. The bond is giving out and the rubber strip sometimes falls right off. Here's how I found mine, about 2/3 of the way unbonded. It hadn't fallen completely off yet but was well on it's way to doing so .....

View attachment 227861
I have one that did that as well. The engine that got at least a little use every year fared better. It lasted 38 years and 61,000 miles.

Head studs should be retorqued.
Intake manifolds and air filter rubber boots are prone to dry out and crack.
Valve cover seals are due for replacement.
So are valve seals.
Karachi hot, dry or humid? dry heat is hard on rubber parts, humid heat not as much.
Spark plug wires, caps boots could start to crack.
Handle bar and battery box rubber bushings harden also.
Plastic cable sheaths are prone to get brittle, crack the one from alternator to the main harness where it passes the sprocket.
Throttle shaft seals for sure.
Advance rod will need to be cleaned relubed.
Clutch rod seal and maybe shift rod seal.

View attachment 227861
Thanks. I'm pretty sure mine is falling apart, specially as it's not been used 30 years. I'll get a replacement before starting the engine. Appreciate your input.
Head studs should be retorqued.
Intake manifolds and air filter rubber boots are prone to dry out and crack.
Valve cover seals are due for replacement.
So are valve seals.
Karachi hot, dry or humid? dry heat is hard on rubber parts, humid heat not as much.
Spark plug wires, caps boots could start to crack.
Handle bar and battery box rubber bushings harden also.
Plastic cable sheaths are prone to get brittle, crack the one from alternator to the main harness where it passes the sprocket.
Throttle shaft seals for sure.
Advance rod will need to be cleaned relubed.
Clutch rod seal and maybe shift rod seal.
All noted and will check. Much obliged for your tips.

Add valve guide seals to that list.
Never mind. Reread Gary's post and saw it.

Back