Phantom doorbell phenomenon.

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not a '60s rock group. It's this unexplained phenomenon where you hear a doorbell and wake up, but nobody's at the door, and the doorbell sounded a little strange, not exactly like your doorbell. My last house didn't have a bell, but I heard a phantom knock on the door once or twice.

Anybody else? It might sound strange to you, but it's a really common phenomenon.

or, in that twilight of almost sleep, somebody calls your name.
As a young adolescent I had a haint sit at the foot of my bed....full weight of a grown person and nobody there.

1. You have a short in the wire, or a squirrel with an appetite in the works.
2. The neighborhood kids are little jerks.
3. Heard of "ringxiety"?

I never had the doorbell situation but I get the door opening and the lock turning sound now and again... one night though, (I live in an apartment) the neighbor from the floor above made an attempt to enter (drunk / high or both) several times. I watched through the peep hole for a bit. Eyes closed, tries the knob several times, turned around went out the stairwell door.. 5 minutes back again... gave up after the 4th try. Was gonna open the patio door then open the door, take his hand and launch him off the deck. :)

I always keep my phone on vibrate. Many times I'll think I feel it vibrating as if I got a text message, call, or email, but I when I pull it out of my pocket, nothing.

i've actually heard the door bell in the way you were describing. funny thing - i was enlisted in the marine corps at the time, living in the barracks... no door bells there

Weird, Ive definitely had that doorbell experience,& the voice shouting out my name..:eek:
Anyone ever woken to find their naked mother at the end of the bed? .....No?

Last edited:
I always keep my phone on vibrate. Many times I'll think I feel it vibrating as if I got a text message, call, or email, but I when I pull it out of my pocket, nothing.

that is some spoooooky shit, bro. :laugh:

Maybe to much cocaine!!! I hear weird sounds sometimes but my house is old. My neighbor bought a new phone and has a handset in the garage. I was working outside and thought I was loosing my mind when I heard her phone ringing and I thought it was mine 5 times.

or, in that twilight of almost sleep, somebody calls your name.
As a young adolescent I had a haint sit at the foot of my bed....full weight of a grown person and nobody there.

I found out later that my grandfathers grandfather, civil war veteran David George, had died in the house. I told Pop about the experience and he said " He won't hurt you."

There is a really cool ad over here were a Couple of magpies (bird size of a crow) are watching a dude and decide to play a prank. One flys the the front of the house and rings the doorbell. The dude opens a glass sliding patio door and walk to the front of the house to answer the door. The second maggie flys up and closes the glass door, both birds land back in the tree as the guys sees no one at the door walks back and slams straight into the glass door. The maggies are pissing them selves an saying lets do it again, let's do it again!

Maybe you have cheeky chipmunks????

I found out later that my grandfathers grandfather, civil war veteran David George, had died in the house. I told Pop about the experience and he said " He won't hurt you."

It would be amazing to live in a house that had been in the family that long. I once felt the presence, as best as I can describe it, of a recently deceased loved one and the feeling got stronger by the second, like a rush, and I had to tell myself to get a grip. If I hadn't done that I don't doubt that I might have seen the person. I see no reason not to think that they were letting their continued existence be known to me.

Back