Test Run on the '82 Heritage Special

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
Hi All !
I had to replace 2 fuel lines this morning so I went to the hardware store and got a foot of 3/16" and a foot of 1/4" ( I took the tank off and inadvertantly poked a hole in one so I figured I'ed replace the vaccuum line to the petcock as well and get rid of the super hard viynal one I put on there the other day....
I buttoned it all back up after a last check of running it in the shop and it ran fine so it was time for a test ride....
I only went about a mile mile and a half but it ran on both cylinders the whole time this time.!
the shifting lever needs to be rotated as my steel capped boots don't fit under it ! both brakes worked good.... and it had get up and go ! all 5 speeds in the trans work ok, I only got up to 50 mph but could tell she is ready to go.... No liscnses on it right now so I figured I'ed better make it a short one ! HEHEHE
.... I have one complaint about this bike.... when it's running it sounds like a old Chevy camaro transmittion ! that's out of oil ! its noisy noisiest bike I've ever had ! maybe becayse it's fairly quiet and I can hear it better I dunno , I took the engine out of the bike because of the noise and opened it up but there is nothing wrong with it inside.... it makes the noise all the time kind'a like a Wrrrrrr sound but loud ! it changes with the RPM not the transmition speed.... I suspect the clutch gear to the crank is the culpret..... and before you ask Yes it has exactly the right amount of oil through the site glass and on the stick.... has anyone else had this complaint ? I thnik it's something I will have to live with because there's nothing wrong with the engine....I checked ! ( didn't split the case and the oil was very clean....) i think it's a XS650 thing !
anyway it runs and runs good NOW..... once warm it starts up in 1 revoultion with no choke
getting it to the Warm stage is usually a knock down-drag-out battle but to me that's no big deal
I'll get the hang of starting it eventually LOL
Bob........

Hi Bob,
a letter exchange from the 1930s

From an unhappy customer:-
Dear Mr Bugatti,
the engine in my new Bugatti sounds like a bucketful of ball bearings being poured onto an iron plate.

Reply from Ettoire Bugatti:-
Dear Sir,
from what you describe, your engine is running perfectly.

Listening carefully to one's engine is certainly what we should be doing. Robert Pirsig wrote about this in the 70's, altho he was riding a Honda.

I used to get caught up in this over-listening thing. It helped a lot to hear other XS650's running.

I have what could be called a noisy engine. The sound, like a loud whirring comes from the clutch side, but only at certain revs. The primary gears are straight cut and are notoriously noisy, and I think this is the problem. You are not alone.

Yup - run it for a while and then change the oil and have a look at what comes out. ...and then get back to us.

It's likely fine - these do tend to be a bit on the noisey side.

Hi. Thanks for that info. Makes good reading, knowledge is power, it's said. My XS is getting the long road test approach, I will keep riding it and see what occurs. It's a long time since my first XS2 in 73, and I cannot remember that motor having this noise. At that time I was more interested in how much noise I could make, and how fast I could go. Today it's the opposite. Regards Ian.

I agree MaxPete.....Live with it ! LOL
definately louder than the Video dave took on his but it sounds like square gears of the crank to clutch gearing.....the Wrrrrr of the thing on mine is ever present when the engine is running changes with the RPM and all.....
but being a lazy cuss I'll just pass on tearing it down and ride it till it brakes THEN fix it ! LOL
what I need now is a honnest to god seat not that metal plate i have been using .....its what ya call a butt-killer ! my ass is still sore from that 3mile jont this afternoon....... corse it could be my chair..... 'cuz i've been here for hours reading that LONG thred avout Daves wine.....
and then gggGarys Crank !!!! OH man I saw that and burst out laughing ( sorry Gary) that definate ain't like it should be.... that was a super smart move though turning it over with the starter to see it spin.... you never would have caught it other wise ! My hat's off to you gggGary ! sorry you got to tear it down but at least you caught it before it came appart in there !!!!!
never seen that before.....hope i never see it again too !
Bob.............

2M: thank you ! yes i will probably FINISH reading it all later ! it began a life of it's own and started multiplying that thred did !!!!!!
hehehehe
Your contribution 2M has proven to me that I am not the mechanic I once was ! thank you very much, you sir are damm good...don't let it go to your head now.... keep improving and perhaps you'll figure out a way to make a centrifugal engine for space flight ! lord knows I've tried ! LOL !
gggGary : did you ever get that crank fixed ? that was horrifying ! I couldn't believe my eyes !
...later all !
Bob.........

I swapped in a low miles motor, that lump is out in the shed, I do have a welded crank sitting here to go in it if the cases are still usable..........

LOL Yup I have a design that'll work but building a proto type is a whole nuther story.....
i've been working on it for over 20 yrs off and on I can't figure out a better way to do the same thing so I guess I'm done designing and need to build it !
that's where I'm at now ! LOL but me motorcycle is more important right now Spring is upon us ! and there will soon be Ice free roads and cows to chase on bikes ! LOL
c ya !
Bob........

Cool glad it was a fairly easy fix for ya .... hope it never happens to you again you had your share of bad luck already !
now I just need a seat and a tach and I'll be all set with mine ! (I HOPE) LOL
gggGary I want to personally thank you for your help in getting that bike of mine running right ! THANK YOU Kind Sir ! Your knowledge and information was indespencable in getting that beast running.... now all I need to do is figure out the choke system...er enrichers so it will start properly and it'll truely be done !
.... I know the rest of you are probably just getting up about now... but I ain't been to bed yet so I think I' go snooze ! Catch'a later guys !
Bob...............

Back