Photobucket big changes

I found out a week or so ago when it was brought to our attention on a vintage snowmobile site I frequent. It really sucks. I will have to look into if Comcast offers any free hosting to me as a subscriber?

Speaking of saving pics.
Maybe three years ago at work we got hit by a jpg ransom malware. Got past multiple software and hardware firewalls.
We are an 50 person engineering firm, and we end up taking LOTS of pics on jobsites. I had probably 100-300 photos on each of my 20+ current projects. It encrypted a goodly quantity of our jpgs before IT could intervene; and the bastards wanted $5000 to restore them.

Management told them to go F themselves. To this day (well, last week), I still have long-standing projects where I need a pic of something I knew I took. Gone.

If you are going to save pics on a hard drive - also keep a couple multiple hard drives off line to avoid a ransomware hit. And with THAT said, hard drives are a DYNAMIC mechanical media, relying upon a sealed enclosure containing stacked metallic platters spinning really fast with a reading head floating about 10 nanometers above the surface. What's a nanometer, you say? A human hair is about 75,000 nanometers. The relationship to a human hair and a nanometer is about the same as a mile is to an inch. Yet if that head touches the surface... its all over. The salient point is that at some time IT WILL FAIL.

For stuff that you cannot re-create (like your album collection that you transferred to CD and then made to MP3, with the albums disappearing a long time ago) $200 will get you a Blu-Ray writer and a stack of 50GB (yes, 50GB!) discs. Add in a $100 Blu-Ray burner program, burn your data to the static media, and it will last as long as there is equipment to read it. In theory... :whistle:
But way longer than a hard drive.

LOL ! thank you Gorden I haven't heard that'en in a long time ..... I laughed so hard my toes curled ! HEHEHEHEHHE
I could see that ... old west bank robber riding a shetland and trying to get away ..... obviously he can't shoot with any accuracy because the vibration of those little hooves going a zillion miles an hour blurs his vision but it sure seams fast !!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAH! that would make a great cartoon !
Bob...

Man this all just makes me sick. I have a Photo Bucket acct that I don't have many photos in , and the ONLY reason I even created the acct was because I was a member of another online forum that was structured such, that the only way you could post a photo to the forum was from a service like PB.
This forum is SO much user friendly.
What's really killing me though is the loss of 5Twins photos, they are everywhere in this forum, and so instructional.
Even if he moves his photos elsewhere, all the articles he posted photos in will likely never be re populated with his photos. What a loss.

I will replace whatever I can from my new hosting site., it's just gonna take a while, lol. And I probably never will get them all. But, if you run across a thread with my pics gone, let me know and I'll try to replace them.

I will replace whatever I can from my new hosting site., it's just gonna take a while, lol. And I probably never will get them all. But, if you run across a thread with my pics gone, let me know and I'll try to replace them.

Thanks 5T - that's very kind of you!

There's another option. It would be pretty easy for someone to write a python script that would examine every post sequentially in the database and when the author is 5T, see if the post has a link to photobucket and if it does, change it to the new link and write it back to the database. You'd have to keep the filename for the picture the same but you probably would anyway. The new link would be something like newdomain.com/newpath/whatever/oldfilename.jpg

LOL My Kid could do it but I sure couldn't any more ..... it really shouldn't be that hard but I have the problem of always getting around windows ! .....we program in C++ and don't care that much for script languages.... their not fast enough .so it leaves us with little alternative.
Bob........

^About any language would work, but I'm familiar with the stuff python has for working with mysql databases (which is what this forum uses). You would export the database, do the magic on it, then import the fixed database. The person working on the database woudln't need access to the site itself. Some picture sites change the name of the file or put random things in the url; you'd want to not use one of those picture sites.

I think that assumes the db is static during the export/regex/import. if u have export rights on the db surely you have access to the schema and select/update rights?

Actually on second thought if you're dealing with an exported *.sql file, you can do the job with search and replace using a text editor. It's trivial as shit.

yah but you were talking about automating it so 5Twins doesn't have to spend weeks doing the change by hand ! that is worth doing !!!!
if you can do it Please do it and give 5 twins a hand !!!!! patching up something like that is a Horrible task I do not envy the task at all ! LOL
..... catching broken threads has always been hard to do ! a program that finds one.... identifies it and lists what it is would be very VERY helpfull !
Bob........

^If they will give me an exported *.sql file I'll get started on it. 5T will need to use a pic site with predicable paths like photobucket had.

there ya go gggGary !
ain't he a good man !!!!! I tell ya we should sell tickets just to watch him in action !!!!! LOL
go for it !!!!

^The problem is the url for the pics need to change and it's hardcoded into posts. So you find his posts, find a photobucket link in the post if there is one and change it to new url. Do it to the whole file. Then the site owner can just import the result *.sql file and everything should work.

Back