Photobucket big changes

I think I went to a posting site because back in the day my computer and the sites I was on wouldn't let you post a photo any other way????

Ditto, but things change. I for one wouldn't subscribe to an e-mail list now that we have forums.

Google Drive gives you a simple directory tree structure, iirc.

Yes you are absolutely right xjwmx. There are no file management features to Google photos which is a common complaint.

The benefit to me is an automatic upload/backup from my Android O/S Google Nexus 6P stupid phone of every pic I take and it's free.

I then download and organize the photos I want to folders on my hard drives, so they're saved in 3 places.

This is an option and how I do it, but I'm different in that I do everything off my iPhone. Any photo I post here is on my phone or I screenshot it. Maybe not the same as on a pc, but I can post pics directly from my storage. An investment in a 1 gigabyte external hard drive will be more storage than you ever need and easy to organize. Again, another option assuming you can post pics directly off your pc storage.

Dropbox is another one that has some potentially useful automation...

I just don't understand this need for a photo hosting web site???
My computer has tons of storage for pictures, as does my external hard drive.
External hard drives with huge capacity are not expensive. Take control of your own pictures, and store them on an external back up hard drive. Why be held hostage by a greedy bunch of executives, making decisions in some board room.

P.S............I don't use a smart phone. Perhaps the smart phone makes picture storage/control a problem??

I did it because it just made adding pics to forum posts so much easier, and it WAS free, lol. I still have them all on my computer and external HDs too but like I said, this just made it easier to post them.

So WER, is there a limit for the amount one can host on this site? Because I got lots of pics, lol. Maybe I'll try at least some, my most frequently used folders.

P.S............I don't use a smart phone. Perhaps the smart phone makes picture storage/control a problem??

Not really a problem rg. I think it's rather a case of simplicity. My phone automatically uploads to a Google Photos account that I can then access online and download to my hard drives. Just too lazy to plug my phone into my computer to upload the pictures from it to my computer I guess.

I just don't understand this need for a photo hosting web site???
My computer has tons of storage for pictures, as does my external hard drive.
External hard drives with huge capacity are not expensive. Take control of your own pictures, and store them on an external back up hard drive. Why be held hostage by a greedy bunch of executives, making decisions in some board room.

Smart phone can but doesn't have to be an issue, I have 128gb on my phone and I can use the cloud if I want.

5twins I don't know. I haven't been blocked from loading any in threads. I don't think you could put pics in an album here and post to another site. I just load them from my phone or PC. So maybe saying site hosting is a wrong way to phrase it. I have used albums in the past (not near as much as 2M) but got lazy.

I put some in but it's going to take some time. They only allow 12 pics at a time to be uploaded.

Just checked my STORM thread, and all the pics are still there. Same thing with my XR1200 Hack build over on ADVRider.
I have been a paying customer for a couple years on Photobucket - as an earlier poster indicated, maybe they are giving a grace period?
That said, I've seen several posts on ADVRider that are now picless. A$$hats.

Per others as well, I started using this several years ago, when most sites would not let you save pics - they had to be hosted. While all my pics are on my computer - and multiple offline hard drives as well, it would be a monumental task to either find a different host or get your own ftp site, and then go back and change the pic reference in every post with pics that you have done for the last 10 years... I have about 1000 pics on Photobucket - all referenced on dozens of sites in hundreds of thread on bikes, motorhomes, Jeeps, GPS's, travel, road trips, etc, etc, etc... I guess the new CEO of PB gambled that enough people would fork over the $400 to make it worthwhile.

If anybody is interested, here's the greedy bastard responsible for phuking up the INET:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2016/01/16/photobucket-has-new-ceo.html

You broke mine, and every other customers links to pics in an extortion play? $40 a year is not enough? You now want $400? Reminds me of that Turing Pharma company a few years ago who bought a company selling a parasitic infection drugs for $13.50 each, and raised the price to $750 overnight. Y'all can FOAD...

Have not seen Smugmug listed in posts above as an alternative. It is owned by one of the main players (or his family, IIRC) over at ADVRider, and are offering a discount of some type to switch. It is a pay site, about $50/ year. But being it is owned by one of the biggest bike forums, I would think they are not so stupid as to commit suicide by attempted extortion...

ADVRider has something like 300,000 members with 30 odd million posts. There are some really, really, really pissed of people over there...
"Phuk PB in the a$$ with a rusty barbwire wrapped telephone pole. :finger"

:laughing:
I truly hope I have not offended anybody - but that is just funnier than hell...

If you want your links to last forever then buy a domain name and pay for web hosting. Keep a backup of everything on your own computer. If the web host tries anything funny, cancel it, upload everything to a new host and move the domain name over.

Here's a pic I uploaded fourteen years ago.
Ram1.jpg

I agree with RG ! in this day and age there is no real need for a hosting site for your photos as I see it ! I keep all my photos on my HD and back them up and all Important programs to a 1 Terabyte motor less type HD that uses a USB cable I got for my Kid about 5 years ago we both use it for mass storage and there is plenty of room in it still !
so I post Pic's directly from my computer, and wouldn't do it any other way.... you should have a back up of your Hard drive ANYWAY
a lesson I learned 3 times over now..... but with the solid state HD's they are the only way to go ! I got the one we have for $99 bucks at Walmart years ago...... there are smaller ones that are much cheaper ....
do it yourself guys your allot better off in the long run !
..... PB is doing what all stores are doing watching the bottom line and to hell with the consequences !
For the love of money is the root of all evil !..... sound familiar ?...... well Hold on to your butt because More is coming ! when the DMV can attach your wages because you didn't buy current licenses this year it shows you this country is going to hell in a hand basket ! MONEY Rules and even the government is in the act ! by the people and for the people doesn't exist any more .... because it's all profit oriented !
each year it gets worse and worse , county's charging Super high building permits, pushing building your own home out of reach for most but the elite rich..... because it's Profit oriented instead of people oriented.....
and what's worse there looks to be no end to it.... it will go on like this till no one can afford anything !
its plane silly !
Bob........

Well.....I said I wasn't saying anymore about this, but here I am.

I was wrong.......and wanted to say that. I've been researching this a little and from what I can tell the posted $399 just might be correct.

Now they only offer 3 plans.......they don't offer the plan I'm on anymore ( 20 Plus). It also looks like I was paying for the "no ads" and that's why I wasn't seeing the pop ups like 5twins.
I still don't understand the difference between "linked" and "3rd" party.....but at this point it doesn't matter......I've gathered up my pitchfork and have joined the crowd.

I've already slimmed down my PB files and will start saving photos this morning. (need to buy a couple of Zips) Once I have the ones I want saved. I'm dropping my PB account as a sign of solidarity.

I'm not sure why the 20 Plus plan users are not effected by all of this...but at this point I don't care.

Gordon in NC.....who, when he's wrong doesn't have a problem admitting it.

Gordon - I come from a land known for being (mostly) good guys and IMO, you certainly are one.

My dad always taught me that admitting an error costs you nothing, but rather, it increases your stature as a confident and fair-minded person. Further, if someone tackles you over the admission - it diminishes their stature. So to he!! with them.

It is disappointing when a person or organization lives down to one's worst expections and I don't think that really happens quite as often as some people may think. However, it does appear that in this particular case, PhotoBucket has done just that.

I never used their service, but from the discussion, it seemed like a pretty good outfit with a genuinely useful service and if they had simply told people, in a respectful and clear fashion, that they needed to increase prices, I suspect many people would have said "ok - here's my money". Most people are fair-minded and can see value for money.

Instead, PhotoBucket popped out a huge fee increase as a total blindside in a badly handled, non-transparent, dumb@ss way. What a shame - but no surprise that people are browned-off about it. I expect that the company will crash and burn and be replaced by a more intelligently managed firm that offers an even better service at a great price that makes sense to both their customers AND to their shareholders.

Anyhow, have a great Independence Day and enjoy life in a wonderful and free land which has the best neighbour in the world!

Pete

Last edited:
Wow missed all this.
#1 I 'm a slacker.
I've been keeping all my photos on my hard drive. I have "some" organization, I have ALWAYS uploaded my pics to this site, it's free and they will be around as long as XS650 is around. Partially at my request when we were working on the carb photo-documentary series, Trav increased the amount of pics we can upload to albums. I had a back up drive on the LAN but it doed and now only have two drives in my laptop which is a bit flaky. I bougth the laptopI have now specifically so I could move the drive from my old laptop to this one and keep all my programs and PICTURES without redoing it all. I have in the tens of thousands of pics, mostly unorganized except by file date........ I upload pics from my phone and 2 or three cameras to the laptop, often several times a day.
Uploading pics directly to threads here is unlimited. Or at least I have never hit a limit and I've put up a LOT of pics! Honesty I can often find my old pics here by a search easier than I can find them on my own hard drives. I should ask Trav about a couple things but in the last forum software upgrade I thought the new software was supposed to automatically upload linked photos to this site for the very reason we are dealing with here. I freaked when I saw 5T's pics missing! My first thought was OMG someone pissed him off! He took his ball and went home! That happened once here and you now can no longer bulk delete your old posts. although you can edit them one at a time "forever", that is a very good thing, I find myself editing posts I made YEARS ago with things that I know now LOL. Many sites lock down editing after a SHORT period. It makes you realize what a treasure we have here and how much some of these threads, contributions are WORTH! I also belong to a bunch of sites and the way this one is run is among the best anywhere, that and the members here are no small part of the XS650 continuing popularity. I'm with Pete on free never lasts. I think Trav does OK but it's not a gold mine for him either. No one lasts forever and some day.......... IMHO Facebook is another time bomb waiting to happen. But it's so weird already I doubt anyone has any expectations of permanence there. I follow several Xs650 facebook groups but the utility is just not there and they tend towards heavy flakieness. Then again this site prolly has kinda killed off the 650 Society, the oldest 650 group, things always change and now change happens faster and faster.
The one member that "left" here made his own blog and that has "gone dark" now also. He just moved on and had no motivation to keep the info "out there".

I just upload whatever to this site. No need for a 3rd party, with all the ads and link hiccups. Besides, it's XS650 stuff, belongs here.

I take pics on my smartphone, then crop/crunch them, then gmail them to my tablet. Easier to manage on my tablet, and post from the tablet. NOW, a new twist, Google's gmail doesn't send mail with attachments like it did. They're held indeterminatly, as "queued". Another net firestorm over this, as this has been the preferred method by billions and billions of folk, gmailing business pics from smartphones. Google: "gmail queued".

Oh, well. It was good while it lasted...

I'm posting direct from the phone as well as downloading to the laptop now. Yes even the android phone to computer usb has added an extra step and they made wifi phone to laptop harder also. The powers that be REALLY want EVERYTHING "in the cloud" I suspect not least because "they" can look at things in the cloud whenever they decide you need to be "looked at".
"just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

Man this stuff is so WAY over my head. Let's see, it's "flash" not "zips" and I figured out on my own the difference between "linked" and "3rd party hosting".

I got all my photobucket photos copied to a flash drive and now I'm in the process of sorting them out. At least they will be saved.

Now here's the "twist" with me and photobucket. First off I told you I have a paid account and it looks like there's no refund for closing it. So since it's a annual thing (wait till you hear this) my next payment won't be due until September, 2017......so no need to close it until then?????....right????? BUT......when I got to checking on it..... I have ONLY made one payment, of $29.99 and that was for the 20 Plus account with the "no ads" option added.

Are you ready for this.........that was three (3) years ago. So through some sort of glitch I've been getting the paid account for free for a couple of years???????

Once I get all these photos sorted (unzipped and in new folders....) I'll save the ones I REALLY care about on my hard drive ( because that's what my daughter...who's in the biz told me to do) and the rest will stay on a couple of Flash drives for now.

Going to be interesting to see what happens to PB but I have a feeling these type of hosting sites are going to go the way of "Video Stores".....and be a thing of the past before to long.

The bastards really didn't handle this very well and pretty much deserve what they end up getting, but who knows......once they crunch the numbers, losing millions of FREE accounts might not be so bad if in the end they end up with enough paid accounts.

Oh well.......it's a holiday and I have carbs to reassemble and a couple of wheels to mount....so I better get at it.

"Shoot low sheriff......he's riding a Shetland!!!!!!" Gordon in NC

PS....thanks for the kind words Pete....hope I can hold up to them.

Back