Piranha ignition help

phil240

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I recently came across a parts lot and have some piranha ignition parts. Little research I've seen on internet shows it is mainly a UK item. Does anyone have more info on these or know if they work with an xs? Anyone know if they are worth anything? They appear to be unused. The parts lot I purchased also had hoduka parts so not sure if this is related to those or not.

Thank you for any help
20200707_125212.jpg
20200707_125220.jpg
20200707_125241.jpg
20200707_125315.jpg
20200707_125446.jpg
20200707_125505.jpg
20200707_125521.jpg

How many motorcycles have a distributer? Ariel Square 4 comes to mind and it had no vacuum advance that I recall. Just saying...

Harley used a distributor in bikes up to at least 1956. No vacuum advance, though; the distributor was turned by a cable operated by a twistgrip on the left handlebar. You rolled the grip forward to retard and discourage the wretched beast from launching you over the bars, and rolled it back to run. "Piranha" is the original name for the Newtronics optical reluctor system, and IIRC they make use of the OE mechanical advance governor. I have no idea which kit fits what.

I think this system was dual use (cars and motorcycles) to convert points to electronic ignition.

I just can't find much about it on the internet

I have a complete Newtronic system in the parts bin. still in the original box. I think there are even instruction manuals there. I can have a look in the morning and compare the two.

Harley used a distributor in bikes up to at least 1956. No vacuum advance, though; the distributor was turned by a cable operated by a twistgrip on the left handlebar. You rolled the grip forward to retard and discourage the wretched beast from launching you over the bars, and rolled it back to run. "Piranha" is the original name for the Newtronics optical reluctor system, and IIRC they make use of the OE mechanical advance governor. I have no idea which kit fits what.

I disagree. H-D's used them as circuit breakers. There was no ignition wires coming out of the covers. Magnetos are exceptions. I will add some Indian V twins to the list of bikes with distributors.

Say what? HD used a battery-and-coil breaker point ignition as a circuit breaker? I think I remember how the ignition on my 1956 Harley KH worked....

Old Harley Knuckle heads, Pan heads, early Sportsters and probably others had a distributor-looking mechanism called a timer. It was on the right side of the motor. It contained the points and condenser but there were no secondary ignition wires coming out of a cap like you might see on a car, for instance.

I recently came across a parts lot and have some piranha ignition parts. Little research I've seen on internet shows it is mainly a UK item. Does anyone have more info on these or know if they work with an xs? Anyone know if they are worth anything? They appear to be unused. The parts lot I purchased also had hoduka parts so not sure if this is related to those or not.

Thank you for any help
View attachment 171422 View attachment 171423 View attachment 171424 View attachment 171425 View attachment 171426 View attachment 171427 View attachment 171428
Piranha ignition, now Newtronic, optical trigger without electronic advance. Can be adapted to fit most engines.
I have one on my Honda 400/4, been on there best part of 20+yrs works fine, has two circuits one for each coil, the one you have looks like a car one probably only one circuit but can be adapted to fit on XS650 fires one dual output coil. Hope it helps.

Here is my Newtronic system. It appears new and unused. Directions are for an XS650. Hope this might help.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back