Please help identify jug 654CC

Streets

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of jugs that are stamped 654CC rather then the 653CC's I have. It is a 4 bolt cam tensioner.
My guess is early XS1? thanks for taking a look and the help everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 99
a little more description.. it does not have sound deadening isolators between the fins. possibly taken out? forgive me if it has been mentioned somewhere sometime on the forum.. I have used the search but came up with nothing specific on this. again thanks for taking a look and the help!

Just looked at my XS1 motor and it says 653CC...

Those sound deadening buttons were only in the head fins.

There *was* a change in the cylinders, and the front camchain guide's hollow bolts, at s/n S650-002487. I don't know specifically what actually changed, but a comparison of those "cylinder guide bar nuts" may shed some light. My (later) XS1B cylinders show 653cc.

At the end of this thread is an engine change chronology. That s/n 002487 is listed there.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs1-xs1b-xs2-tx650-tech-bulletins-service-data-brochures.31022/

Thanks for the responses and help guys, as I mentioned.. I have scoured the forum and the world wide web for info but nothing specifically states the 654cc.. I guess I will chock it up as a pretty early XS1? perhaps from S/N 002486! I have about a truck load of parts that came from an ol' flat tracker. some of the parts from that have included bored jugs stamped HARTLINE.. that I have found was a flat track racer back in the day Gene Hartline, a few cam's Shell Rods, a few cranks with the pins welded.. must have been an old race trick. it's been an adventure digging up info on this stuff! and a couple early motors without the starter. Again thanks for the responses.

Hi Streets,
my best guess is that the jugs are aftermarket and the cast in place capacity number being upgraded by 1cc to 654cc was done for legal reasons.

Back