please help me this is my first bike

outkast1985

XS650 Member
Reaction score
If there is any one out there that can help me please do all answers and responses welcome.
This is my first bike and the first time iv ever tryed to repair one. I have a 74 xs engine on a 82 frame it was someone elses project and it didnt take a scientists to tell that all the wireing had been coustomized and hacked. When I bought the bike I was told that it only needed a coil that matched the boyer bransden ignition that was installed because the old one had been fried because it wasn't the right one. I ordered one from mikes xs and installed it after research of the correct procedures only to find that I had no fire and no juice to my ignition box or coil.
I've gone through all the wiring found were it was lacking juice and got juice to my ignition box and a little under 12 volts power going to both input leads of my coil with out cranking it, and dont wanna try and fire it if it is wrong and end up with a fryed ignition box or coil.
I also have to add that none of the original wiring or harness is left. IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAY OR CAN HELP PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IM NO IDIOT BUT I NEED HELP

Last edited:
Sorry I use my cell for the net and just type because its a pain to switch throught options just to have proper punctuation I assure you I take more time to study my work and mechanical ability

Without punctuation, sentences and paragraphs, it is very hard to read and get our head around your problem. :banghead:

Can be done if we study it enough. :confused:

Why should we have to do that because you cannot be bothered, and it is a pain to change options? :shrug:

If you don't want to change options then do some study in the "Tech Menu" and use the Google search and it will compliment/help your mechanical abilities. :wink2:

Again, sorry was just lookin to see if I was supposed he have 11+volt going to both input leads for my coil . All I can find is advice on pamco systems and nothing on the boyer's.
I even read you post on testig for fire you wrote for the guy who hooked his battery up backwards. I would have never thought to isolate the power source and use a hanger for ground

The Boyer seems to be a bit more popular across the big pond, it seems to me. Give our Brit and Euro cousins a few more hours of sleep and maybe someone who has fooled with the Boyer will chime in.

And then all those capitals.....
(Sounds so angry!!!!)
So your charging system is going to blow fuses
Until you do the plastic screw thing
Late model xs'ssss don't ground the brush
like your engine.

Posted via Mobile

Instead of using your phone, why not use a PC. Not hard to use, all the things you need are right on the keypad.
Leo

First off if your gunna bash please don't. With that out of the way I was able to get my bike to fire and actually run. So to the everyone who gavd me advice, web links ect... thank you.
The major problem seemed to be that the last person added a wire and switch that were unnecessary which was grounding out my coil. Now I will be focusing my research on figuring out correct timing and why I have a backfire through my right carb.

Back