Plug and Play battery charger

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Hi all,
New guy here. I usually charge my battery with a large, older charger that is mechanical, so I have to watch it as it will not automatically shut off when the battery is charged. I recently bought a "Car Quest", auto parts store brand, plug and play for ease of use. It is really small, palm size, and it shuts off when battery is full and also has a pig-tail if I wanted to just plug the battery into the charger. I was reading the directions and it says to NOT hook the Negative lead directly to the battery terminal, but instead use a piece of battery cable, minimum 12 inches long, hook that to the Negative terminal on the battery then clip the charger lead to the cable. Positve lead can be clipped directly to battery terminal. Since I am use to my old charger I just clipped neg to neg and pos to pos directly. Any thoughts on this? Can I just clip the leads to the battery or does anyone think I need the cable? Or is this a safety advisory from the company?
Thanks for any help all

I believe hydrogen gas / spark / explosion is the safety concern. With the caps on the battery an explosion is pretty low on my worry horizon. Never hurts to hook up the positive first and negative to an engine or frame bolt though. If I have the plug in connector on the bike I don't worry about it.

Thanks! It's a new sealed, maintenance free battery. I figured it was spark/gas safety. Just wanted to double check.

Side question: What does "PO" stand for? I keep seeing it and am new to forums, and the 650.
Thanks again

Yes PO = previous owner, synonym "Idiot"
Example; PO stripped the drain plug so he wrapped duct tape around it and stuffed it in.

Usually the way I use it is a giveaway.
Like "hey PM me", is not the same as "that D@#n PM fu%$#d that up too" See the difference.

Back