Pma and safety relay

I'm led to believe that any 6V NC relay could replace the safety relay, if the aim is to rewire the bike keeping that function but not the lighting relay because an on-off switch is fitted.
True? Should it be an AC-specific one? Is there a recommended/trusted one to go for?
I ask because before too long I have to do a complete rewire on my '82 which already has as much extraneous crap as possible removed/disconnected. I also intend to relocate the relay, solenoid and a few other bits in the void behind the battery in a slightly modified battery box, trying to keep things as tidy as possible.

I still have not tried to get my safety relay working again. the ignition pickup on tha pma would not retard enough,and I had to remove the Woodruff key and move it clockwise a bit to get it to be less advanced. and now it is overheating. not the engine overheating but the Stator is overheating. the white insulation on the stator looks like toasted marshmallows. Hugh is working with me on finding the problem.
but, replacing the safety relay an entirely seems like it would be a good idea.

A diode inline with the relay coil will convert a bosch relay to ac. Some relays have a internal diode to do just that.

Update: no success story here
I have to admit I have basically giving up on the safety relay. I tried a resistor in series with the relay and the resistor got really hot. so I'm just keeping my thumb off the starter when riding.
I did a ton of work on this bike during the covid lockdown and have not had near as much time since.
My next big job that I am procrastinating on is valve seals. I did put a one-way valve in the Breather and that made the bike far more enjoyable to ride. I have to do it sooner or later because the bike has to burn a little oil when I take off after a stoplight.

Usually valve seal smoking is only when the bike is started up after sitting for a length of time, overnight or if it sits all day after the first start up. Then it will smoke till the oil has burnt off that has run past the valve seal.

Sure its not oil rings causing the smoke, worn rings will build crank pressure.

Back