PMA not charging

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
Hey All, I'm still working to get my '81H up and running reliably. I have a HHB PMA, Pamco and EAdv. I've been working on getting the timing just right and when I went to put the light on it, the light wouldn't work. I thought darned HF cheapo light...and then I tested the battery voltage and it was around 9V running. I had no idea that my battery was not charging because my rides have only been in the 25 mi range to test the systems and to do some fine adjusting. Little did I know I was running on straight battery power and not actually charging from the PMA. It is amazing that the Pamco will run off battery alone. Starting, one kick and no noticeable electrical issues. Lights were all working.
So, I did a little research and I checked the resistance on the three yellow wires coming from the stator and I got equal readings...as Hugh suggests in his test. I eventually tried to test output from the regulator while running and was not able to get a reading on voltage output and then I couldn't get the bike started again so I took the battery out to give it a full charge which it now has.
I did wire the the hot out from the regulator to another wire going TO the battery, but not directly to the positive terminal. Could that have been the problem? I am going to attach the red lead directly to the battery and then run the main power out through the fuse box a a separate wire. The diagrams I looked at looked like one could connect the lead from the regulator to the main out from the battery, but I might/must be mistaken. I am about to connect the lead to the freshly charged battery and then out on a separate wire to the fuse box, etc.
Now, did I read correctly that the PMA will only charge a battery that has a 12V charge? If that's the case, then this should solve the problem.

I love my Pamco and EAdv. Fires up, one kick. Just want to dial in the timing and the carbs and then I feel like I'm set to go.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Rob

Just ordered

Pixnor Waterproof Round Panel DC 12V-24V Motorcycle LED Digital Display Voltmeter Voltage Meter

Talked to Hugh

Great customer support.
Will follow up when all is good.

Thanks

Back