PMA with BATTERY and CAPACITORS

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hugh has put one of his PMA kits in the mail for me, and a couple of Lowbrow capacitors are on the way, too. With the PMA kit I will install the two capacitors in parallel. Hugh says he runs two capacitors (with PMA of course), and some run just the battery.

QUESTIONS

1. Can the PMA be run with two capacitors (or one) and battery?

2. If so, how is that wired-up - capacitors before or after the battery?

3. What is the theory of capacitors and battery in combination?

4. Is there any benefit of running both?

5. If both are installed is there likely to be any malfunction to the PMA and capacitors if the battery packs in?

MORE INFO
There is a starter in there, but I am a kick only bloke until something packs in, like a knee or something - although I would like to experiment to see if the thing is still alive down there (I think they call it insurance). Oh, and indicators might be useful.

Thanks, fellers

Anlaf

Last edited:
In all reality you only HAVE to have 1 capacitor OR a battery to run. I was running a single sparx capacitor with no complaints other than a dimming headlight at idle but as soon as I get my replacement motor built :ugh: I will be running one of the Ballistic 4 cell batteries. Hugh would be the man to ask about the 2 capacitor deal. If you on the other hand want to go with a battery you do not need a capacitor as the battery will perform the same "smoothing of the electrical" as the caps.

Thanks for that info, and I'll check out the website - by the way, nice bike you have there. great set-up. I have a bobber project for the winter, and your photos in your gallery have given me some ideas. How did you decide on Keihin carbs - do you recommend them?

Anlaf

Thanks for the kind words. As far as the carbs go I was looking for something that was more modern than the older bs34's I had on originally and were more readily available. I came across an old post around here somewhere that was talking about the ex500 carbs as a viable candidate for a swap. I found a set on e-bay that was super clean and within my budget (less than $80) started doing some measurements for physical fitment which is identical to the bs34's. Probably the most costly part was getting jets because nowhere around where i live had any keihin jets to swap around. Would I recommend them? Yeah I am pretty happy with the way they perform and now that MrRiggs has gotten involved and figured out some alternative jet needles for them we should be able to get them working perfectly.

The capacitor was originally added to an electrical system as insurance to a dead battery. On some bikes with unreliable charging systems, (insert Lucas Electrics) it meant you could make it home with a dead battery if you had kick start, or could bump start. The capacitor allowed some storage to help run the lights and keep the electrical system from damage due to the dead battery. At least that is what I read and understand.
You can operate just fine with one capacitor, but two in parallel gives a little more storage and stronger lights. I'm going with one Sparx on my current build and see what happens.

Thanks, plane_ben, so far it looks like capacitors or battery, but not both.

Can anyone give a definitive answer?

I like the idea of the independence from battery failure, but a battery has some advantages,. too. I just wonder if I can have the best of both worlds.

Anlaf

I run 2 sparx Caps in parallel..... I have a AAC Titmouse LED taillight and a H1 headlight, no signals etc.... Little dimming when idling at a light, other than that bike runs Great!!

YES - you can run both a Capacitor and a Battery. I've even setup bikes with 2 Capacitors (no battery) for a backup without any issues at all.

For a few long haul bikes that Ive been a part of, we've installed 1 Capacitor, 1 Battery and a Spare Capacitor (not wired up, just a spare) on the chassis. These bikes were built for The Stampede and The Long Road, basically a race across the US on stripped down chops :thumbsup:

Thanks Punkskalar, I'll go for that set-up.

Does it matter where in the parralel sequence the capacitor and battery are wired?

Anlaf

Anywhere before the kill or "off" switch should be just fine... I've even stuffed a capacitor into a headlight before (vibes eventually killed it though, so keep the spring mount - haha)

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, I'll put that in my wiring diagram for when the PMA gets here. Tracking the USPS is like a geography lesson (it's reached Miami). And, yes, I was wondering about vibration and the capacitors - this week I had a few things fall off the bike, but fortunately not one of them was me, just engine bolts and stuff.

Anlaf

Heres my bike as it sits now. Its a Joe Wiseguy intake.

Attachments

• sittin pretty.jpg
    sittin pretty.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 323
Back