Pod filter part numbers?

XSiveForce

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First off, a very imformative site! Congrats yall, well done.... Now, I'm putting together a bike, started off with a '79 XS and I'm down to the short strokes. I called around looking for pod filters for this little beast and the quickest I can get the filters is 6 weeks! I am looking at K&N filters, part# RC1920. Is this part close? Has anyone used these filters? I am wondering what others have used, something that won't take 6 weeks to get. 6 weeks up here and the riding season is near over.....

- welcome

- try here 650central, look under 'air and vent filters', scroll down to 'K&N-Style Offset Oval Pods'
'70-79 52mm #MXS15-0036.... $32.00 pr
'80-84 54mm #MXS15-0035.... $32.00 pr

Thank you! I will make the call tomorrow. Also, I guess it was kind of rude for me to just dive in like I did, no intro, no nothing.... I will post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

The K&N pod you want is the RU1820. Try here .....

http://www.ajusa.com/details/K-and-...=1&vc=KNF&pn=Universal+Rubber+Filter&vq=null&

The pods from Sporting for Less are junk, don't use them. You need a tapered oval, not a tapered round. The round ones are physically too small to flow enough.

I recently switched to UNIs and like them even better than the K&Ns I was running. About half the cost and I think the bike performs better. For your 38s, get the straight clamp on pod, part #UP4200 .....

http://www.unifilter.com/online catalog/universal.html

No, but if you really have a '79 and BS38s, then the intake O.D. is only about 52mm. The 1820s fit them perfectly. BS34s are 54mm on the intake but didn't come on these bikes until 1980. If you do have 34s then you will want the RU0981 K&N or UP4229 UNI.

An easy way to tell the difference is to look at the lid on top of the carb. If it has a thick cast alloy lid it's a BS38. The BS34's have a thin stamped steel chrome plated lid.

I just deciphered my VIN, says its a 79/80 XS-SG. I knew the BS38s were pre 80 and the BS34s were from 80 on. Sorta confused me, titled as a 79 but with BS34s on it. Now I know for sure an 80. I found some filters that fit and should work OK, K&N BD-3303. My local ATV/bike dealer stocks them all the time so they were easy to get. A tad longer than what I was looking for but I have room now.....

Back