points to TCI conversion

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry about the silly question but i just spent a half hour searching for this subject and could not find anything about converting from points to TCI, only posts about the reverse, tci to points.
So here is my dillemma.
I've got a motor that was originally a points motor and it looks like someone removed the rod, advance assembly and points from it. It still has the original rotor and stator so no crank sensor.
I've got the tci rotor and stator with the crank sensor, the coil and the tci box off of another motor. Could i convert this motor to tci but simply bolting on the rotor, stator, etc?? is it that simple or am i missing something?
I want to spend as little as possible of course and if i could use the parts i already have that would be perfect. Anyone know?

thanks!

I'm 99.99% certain it's just that simple. In the normal setup the TCI fires a single coil with two spark plug connections on it. Reading again, I see you have all the parts, so sounds like a pleasant afternoons work :) If your crank sensor isn't slotted for the top hole, you can slot it to change your timing. The usual direction is to retard it a little. Mine is set at minimum according to the marks on the stator.

Back