Power strip for a 220V plug?

Angry Rabbit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a single plug in my garage for a 220V. It's the kind that most electric dryers plug into. Unfortunately, I've got several pieces of equipment that use 220V (air compressor, machine mill, garage heater). I don't run them all at the same time, so I just need some sort of power strip that I can plug all of them into. Anybody know if there is something like that out there? thanks, Cranky Bunny.:confused:

Just speaking from an electricians point of view, but probably not a good idea. I could see something like heater running and air compressor kicking on and tripping the breaker its tied to on the other end. 220v plugs are usually sized for the application and shouldnt allow to much addition onto the circuit.

With that being said you can, but i dont recommend, use a junction box with another couple bits of wire and just add another plug off the existing feed circuit. Your not going to find a 220v "power strip" though because it would probably cause more issues than anything.

All in all I would just goto the hardware pickup some wire and add one or a few more plugs in with their own breakers from the breaker box. Safest way and less headaches.

NOT a good idea.

I have a single 220 outlet in my garage, with cords on my big compressor and my welders. I intentionally set it up that way so I can't have more than one unit plugged in at a time. My garage is on a 50 amp feed from the main panel in the house, so I have to limit myself to one high-draw application at a time.

IF your garage has it's own feed, or IF the feed from the main panel is wired and fused appropriately (I'd say 100 amps) then the safe and correct way to do it is as mkrill85 said: Separate breaker and wiring for each plug.

thanks for the feedback guys. I figured this might be the case, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I guess I'm pulling more money out of the kids college fund.....CB

Back