POWER

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if my xs1-b is low on power. I have a little over 2,000 miles on it now and it seems a little sluggish. The last 650 I owned was about 50 years ago and I just can't remember how it should perform. My last three bikes have all been 100hp an up, and that has jaded my thoughts I'm sure.

Attachments

• 20230808_114050.jpg
    20230808_114050.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 30
The first Xs units..70-71 were rather zippy..... more so than the 72'... neutered by the feds.... EPA ? check the timing.... the advance " springs "... perhaps a carb related issue ? 😎

These bikes aren't powerhouses by modern day standards, but they have an excellent midrange RPM pull to them where you can really feel the torque of the motor. Thats the part I love the most about riding them...rowing back and forth through that pull (and sound!). 🥰

Are we talking after a rebuild here --- 2000 miles if so it is early days.
Are we talking a stock bike Exhausts / Filters / Ignition / Compression
When everything is spot on .. there is a sweet spot Sadly it is difficult to hit but there is one
Especially if rev is kept + 4000 rpm .maybe + 5000 rpm
Given the brakes and frame it is not so bad .. Well over what most riders use
of course + 100 hp is different.

If you feel it is not responsive a look at the Carburetors can change things -- jetting .
If you post what jets you use the gentlemen here can have suggestion trying something different.
And a picture of the spark plugs Helps

Are we talking after a rebuild here --- 2000 miles if so it is early days.
Are we talking a stock bike Exhausts / Filters / Ignition / Compression
When everything is spot on .. there is a sweet spot Sadly it is difficult to hit but there is one
Especially if rev is kept + 4000 rpm .maybe + 5000 rpm
Given the brakes and frame it is not so bad .. Well over what most riders use
of course + 100 hp is different.

If you feel it is not responsive a look at the Carburetors can change things -- jetting .
If you post what jets you use the gentlemen here can have suggestion trying something different.
And a picture of the spark plugs Helps
Thanks, that's a lot to consider. No, it's not a fresh rebuild. It was missing the speedometer when I got it, and the previous owner had no information at all. It's burning about half a quart or more of oil per 100 miles, so it could be high miles. I had to clean the carbs, they were a mess. The only thing I replaced in them was the needle and seat. Main jets are 130. I live at about 6000 feet. It's the mythical one kick and it starts bike, so I hate to do anything to the carbs. The advance rod for the points was gummed up and stuck when I got it, but it's working fine now. Could be low compression I guess. I haven't checked that. I'll try to make it down to Harbour Freight and pick up a guage. Thanks.

Thanks, that's a lot to consider. No, it's not a fresh rebuild. It was missing the speedometer when I got it, and the previous owner had no information at all. It's burning about half a quart or more of oil per 100 miles, so it could be high miles. I had to clean the carbs, they were a mess. The only thing I replaced in them was the needle and seat. Main jets are 130. I live at about 6000 feet. It's the mythical one kick and it starts bike, so I hate to do anything to the carbs. The advance rod for the points was gummed up and stuck when I got it, but it's working fine now. Could be low compression I guess. I haven't checked that. I'll try to make it down to Harbour Freight and pick up a guage. Thanks.

My personal view is that compression is not so sensitive . Within limits of Course.
If not smoke and so
I have been in the last owner segment and Had one which was " Soft " on the kick starter. .
Still ran good like a scolded rat .Perhaps the compression figure measured standing still is different from when there is action and revs
Or I can be plain wrong. But bike ran well Rock and Roll.
Soft compression and soft advance unit springs Points everything stock Weak charging a bit black pugs
.So so air s filter Still ran good.
I can appreciate that if it starts one don't want to open that can of worms messing to much with things.

New set of points perhaps and adjusting .normal service ?

Back