Programmable advance TCI Replacement

So when I go into the box, these are the only parameters I get options for. I set pickup type to 1, but I don't see any options to set the pickup position, advance curve etc.
Am I missing something?

trans1.png

1668111859226.png

Looks like it's pre-set for XS650 and pick-up position is currently 50*:shrug:- maybe advance at 05, (something perhaps 15) and 40

Edit: I know guessings not helpful, but I haven't posted all day:D

Looks like it's pre-set for XS650 and pick-up position is currently 50*:shrug:- maybe advance at 05, (something perhaps 15) and 40

Edit: I know guessings not helpful, but I haven't posted all day:D
:) Nope. Look at the Dump @216: 3F in Hex is 63°btdc
50° is just a default value IF we come to use a Hall sensor instead of the genuine VR pkp. Jim wanna play with a hall sensor....:shrug:

So as it sits right now we should be ready to run?

Better to ask forgiveness than permission... right? :er:

So, the good news. It appears the hard starting is fixed... with one caveat. About every other... every third start gives a bad kickback. Bad enough I'm concerned about stripping a starter gear. So advance at start needs to come back some. But when it did start, it lit off immediately, just like the OEM box. It didn't do that before.
Not so good is it's breaking up pretty bad as soon as I add throttle. With idle about 1000rpm, I can't get it to go above about 2k. I didn't get a chance to scope it or put a timing light on it. Prolly need that back door code to back the advance down a bit before we go any further.
I did run it with the OEM box and it runs just fine... jus' like it did when I went for a ride yesterday.

All in all, I'll call it a win. My big concern was always the hard... almost impossible starting with the 'lectric leg. It appears you've fixed that Thierry.
thumbsup.gif

Temp has took a nosedive and it's raining. Garage door is down for the night.

Last edited:
Perfect, that sound really good. The main issue seems to be solved. 👍
The rest is "just" settings… Follow up on PM

Yeah... sorry Gary, the forum didn't give an alert... as Thierry says, we're currently on a WX hold. I've got the firmware update from him and just waiting on it being warm enough to open the garage door.
Stay tuned.

Bring it up to Wisconsin Jim it's going to be balmy here. Current forecast is +- a foot of frozen sunshine and refreshing 50MPH wind. AKA riding weather!
1671537586418.png

Or we're balmy to live here, you decide.
Our motto; it's even worse in Minnesota.
Just bumping the thread cuz an Aussie was asking about a TCI replacement.

Last edited:
It's more a winter freeze. I sent Jim a procedure to upgrade the firmware and I currently modify it to get use of the second idle pickup, hoping it'll ease the starter....
It can be of interest if the starter problems are there also when kick starting.. Not using the starter at all.
The XS has a ...shall i say weak starting motor and electrics for that.

So even stock setups on older bikes and weaker batteries ( Obviously not talking about Jims machine here )
is a solution provided it works over the rev range once started.

If the Voltage drops because the starter motor draws all power it can be impossible to avoid that the electronics gets confused . No matter what the program parameters are

Not saying that it is so .It can be adjustement and software But Some electronic ignitions are sensitive for that drop.
Some bikes cuts out all other non essential electrics when starting and after startup switch it on
as Lights

Right, there is this risk too, of a too low battery voltage when cranking. Hopefully Jim will be able to get a scope view of the 12v power line. It'll give us a idea if either or not the voltage drops too much...

It is puzzling that I never experienced any difficulty using the electric start - though had pickup position way off (on trailing edge) and stock air-gap. FWIW, my main switch is a single-pole 40A toggle (6" 12ga wire to blade fuse box) and the battery a LiFePo LFX14A2-BS12 - otherwise, a stock ignition :shrug:

It is puzzling that I never experienced any difficulty using the electric start - though had pickup position way off (on trailing edge) and stock air-gap. FWIW, my main switch is a single-pole 40A toggle (6" 12ga wire to blade fuse box) and the battery a LiFePo LFX14A2-BS12 - otherwise, a stock ignition :shrug:

Well you are experienced and by a quick look here You have first grade selection of connectors and do a first class job on the wiring.
So does Mr Jim .. You are " Experienced Experts " 30 - 40 years professional background.

At the other end the 18 year old .Putting in a few hundred dollars maybe 800 for a bike that wont make it home after the purchase. ( don't ask me how i Know that --twice ... )

He don't have the tools knowledge and often not the money to make a first class job.
The bike is just a test trying the hobby -- if it works this summer fine -- the rest is extra bonus.

He cannot refurbish any electrics and are hesitant to put money into it .
Should he make it this summer ..The same situation.. next Summer OK OK ..just one more summer is fine
So then enter the creative solutions electric tape hose clamps steel wire you know the drill
Bike was crap from the start and he don't want to put money on it .. Especially if he don't have the money

He can have problems getting the gas Money .He just want to ride some.

So the crap wiring . Should strictly speaking be tossed out. But he cant do it himself
And take it to a shop a $ 150 an hour is not possible either.
The expensive free bike where all the savings goes routine.

A weak charging ..new alternator was $ 350 .. From Yamaha ..Onto a $ 500 bike
Naeeeh... hhh.. I stood there swaying at the dealers desk. Weak at the knees.
No internet no other solutions -- Rewiring .. with so so result.
other solutions .Including riding with not so much charging. Lights off..

So if this is solved via Kick starting .. There are or at least was people choosing that road.
As long as it starts and runs. Fine

The XS 650 is solid .. Mechanically ... Speaking of the later models .many thousands had been produced and bike refined.
But there will be people I believe out there with weak electrical systems.

He don't have the tools knowledge and often not the money to make a first class job
Yes sir; I think a big part of this project, at least my involvement, is to get a TCI replacement that's as affordable, reliable and as plug-n-play as possible.

PS - I'm just a shade tree mechanic that can type some words...:redface:

Back