Proper Mixture setting for '75

You can't trust aftermarket manuals. I try to cross reference any info I find between at least a couple different manuals, factory and aftermarket. I trust the factory ones more but even they have mistakes. The chart in the link above is correct as far as I can tell. It took some digging to find all that info but as I said, I think it's good. From what I've learned about these carb sets over the last few years, I'm pretty confident those specs are valid. You may find other specs listed in some manuals but I think those are mistakes.

You have to understand carbs and how all the settings interact. '75 and earlier sets spec 1 turn or less on the mix screws. Why? probably because they were jetted richer and had no E.P.A. restrictions.

Well, that's the whole point of lists like this in my opinion. And the 650 is the perfect bike for that. We can and do fix them ourselves, well, most of the time, lol.

I get around 55 mpg, and thats riding up in the mountains. I've tried both regular and high octane and I can't detect any difference. Your carbs need to be tuned properly to get decent fuel consumption.

I use stock jetting (stock air boxes, stock exhaust). I live at 3400 feet ASL and have taken trips up to 7200 feet ASL. Works just fine.

If you have pods and open exhausts then re-jetting is likely required.

Back