Re-Installing Rotor?

maximusrising

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
Jim rebuilt my rotor, it looks brand new and measures perfect ohms, (definitely the way to go! Thanks, Jim!) and I do not believe I'm getting it all the way on. My evidence is that the stator won't go on all the way. I looked real close with a flashlight and I can see probably a mm (.75mm?) gap. Is the technique just wailing on the nut with the impact gun? It's sliding onto a tapered shaft, correct? Like a ball joint or tie rod end on a car? The woodruff key is in the slot (never would have gotten this far otherwise) but it just feels like it's not moving any more.
Advice?
Thank you
1983 XS650SK bone stock

John

I would pull it off and check the key again. It has a rounded bottom and sometimes gets pushed in further as you put the rotor on. This raises the rear end of it and that might stop the rotor from going on fully.

Is the technique just wailing on the nut with the impact gun?
NO!!! :cautious:

A tapered shaft will properly seat with just hand pressure. Wailing on it with an impact gun will have you searching Ebay for a replacement crankshaft, pulling the motor, tearing it down..... etc.

As 5twins says, check the woodruff key.

Also.... there's a very small "pin and slot" arrangement at the bottom of the stator. If you don't have the stator clocked correctly in relation to the pin, it won't fit correctly.

z.png

zz.png

Back