?? Re: Retorque of head bolts

For the head studs there is a Technical Bulletin specifying the use of engine oil. Not all bolts and nuts should be lubed with oil prior to setting the torque. Be very wary about using anything else other than the specified motor oil on the head studs. Using anti-seize like Molybdenum Disulfide can result in up to twice the torque being applied. The only time I have broken a casting was when using Copper grease on threads when setting the torque. It was also the first time I tried Copper grease after reading about it on this forum. I know a lot swear by Copper grease and I certainly did that day. My rule of thumb is to only use motor oil, and only if this is specified. All others go on dry and clean.

The following thread talks about oiling the Head studs, but somewhere 2M posted the Technical Bulletin regarding the use of oil:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-to-use-on-the-bolts-for-a-top-end-job.27533/#post-274321

Note: It has been previously reported on this Forum the observation of the head stud nuts immediately untwisting slightly after a retorque. No explanation was given but it was described as a bit spooky.

Last edited:
For the head studs there is a Technical Bulletin specifying the use of engine oil. Not all bolts and nuts should be lubed with oil prior to setting the torque. Be very wary about using anything else other than the specified motor oil on the head studs. Using anti-seize like Molybdenum Disulfide can result in up to twice the torque being applied. The only time I have broken a casting was when using Copper grease on threads when setting the torque. It was also the first time I tried Copper grease after reading about it on this forum. I know a lot swear by Copper grease and I certainly did that day. My rule of thumb is to only use motor oil, and only if this is specified. All others go on dry and clean.

The following thread talks about oiling the Head studs, but somewhere 2M posted the Technical Bulletin regarding the use of oil:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-to-use-on-the-bolts-for-a-top-end-job.27533/#post-274321

Note: It has been previously reported on this Forum the observation of the head stud nuts immediately untwisting slightly after a retorque. No explanation was given but it was described as a bit spooky.
Thanks for the reply !
Time to tuck it away in the old grey matter for future use (maybe to never be seen again)

Went to Cdn Tire and picked up a new fish scale and tested it on a metal weight they had in stock in sporting goods. Was bang on. Returned home and tested it. The good news is my old torque wrench was bang on,the old fish scale went in trash. Now back to finding out what’s going on with the one nut or stud binding. More details to come over weekend.

Went to Cdn Tire and picked up a new fish scale and tested it on a metal weight they had in stock in sporting goods. Was bang on. Returned home and tested it. The good news is my old torque wrench was bang on,the old fish scale went in trash. Now back to finding out what’s going on with the one nut or stud binding. More details to come over weekend.
Does that mean you’ve been lying about how big the fish were that you caught? Lol.

Back