rear bearing install issue

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My rear wheel bearing or the seal for the brake side seems to be out to far.
Here is what i did.
I took my spoked wheels from my 76 to a bike shop in grand rapids mi. big one. had work done there in the past.
I had a spare wheel and tire on the rear of the bike because my tire was flat. I wanted to powder coat the wheels spokes and hubs. So I tried to get the bearings out of my front wheel had a hard time. So I took both front and rear wheels to bike shop and they removed the front tire and removed both front and rear bearings. put all used stuff in a bag for me. I had the wheels blasted and powder coated. Got new tires and all balls bearings took them back to the same shop. I even printed out the 2 pages showing the wheels internal parts and gave that to them.
When I picked up my wheels I thought that the seal looked like it was out more than it should have been but I thought I may be mistaken. Took them home and they wouldnt fit between my swing arm.
I compaired the 2 wheels and the seal is sticking out the drum farther than the old one that has not been replaced. I tried tapping it in more but the seal wont go in any further. I can stick my finger in the bearing and past it and do feel the gap between spacer and bearing I dont know if it is excess or not. must be cause I cant get all the parts between the swing arm.
can I just remove the seal on that side and drive the bearing in further?

any suggestions?

all masked and not a bit of powder got in it. Added photo and the other side is a clean as this side.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Yes, you can remove the seal and drive the bearing in the rest of the way. Sounds like they didn't drive it in fully. If the spacer is still loose, maybe they didn't drive the other side in fully either. Also, make sure they installed the #20 "collar" into the sprocket side bearing or the center spacer will remain loose even with the bearings fully seated. The axle will be too loose in the left bearing too.

RearWheelBearings.jpg

There is just a small amount of movement of the spacer inn there I'm hoping they got all the parts in there. Just considering taking swing arm and all back to the bike shop to see if they can get it right. I would take the wheel that's in the swing arm now so they can see what's needed to happen. If I go taking it down and try to fix it and I cant get it right I may end paying for it twice. Thanks for the reply

Paid for, go back to them.

As 5twins says on the collar, ..............check your bag of old bearings to see if it has been removed.

some times part #20 stays stuck in the bearing. are you sure it isn't stuck to the old bearing in your bag?

I think if something that were left out that there would be all kinds of free space in it and there is only a small gap between bearing and spacer.

you came to us with a problem and we have been giving you some answers but they also entail questions, and your answering those questions with ............"I think"

Have you actually confirmed or tried to find out if.................

Im going to take all the items back to shop (both wheels, swing arm and all) have em do it right.

Back