rear brake pivot loose

Do you mean the hole the shafts for the rear brake lever pivots in is a worn and oversize? I just bought an XS that seemed to have a loose brake arm when I got it but turns out the splined shafts the lever clamps to was not pushed through the hole all the way, I had to mess with the the linkage on the inside of the frame as it was hitting on the side of the post to stop its rotation and it just wasn't inert ed all the way into place. Maybe this is also the problem your having. If the splined post is not sitting flush with the face of the clamping area of the lever this is also your problem I would bet, mine felt very loose too.

Those that have only the special to reference are still lost. The Specials didn't have a grease nipple on the pivot. Since having to beat one(pivot shaft) out I have always thought to add one(grease nipple) would be a good mod.

doctavee it is a replaceable part if you can find the correct one.

Well, as long as it's not the tube welded into the frame that's all wallowed out, lol. I could be wrong, but I think Yamaha put that grease fitting on there for a reason.

Obviously, that's all some use it for, lol. The one on my '78 Standard makes a real difference in how smoothly the brake pedal operates. Yes, I'm a grease fitting fan, maybe even fanatic. I've added no fewer than a half dozen to my 650 (both stands, center of swingarm, steering neck, kickstart pivot). I've mentioned it before but keeping the stands greased makes them work sooooo nice. One of the new local young guys I met last summer has allowed his 650 to deteriorate quite badly in just this past year. It's pretty much covered with oil, leaking just about everywhere possible (yet he won't buy a gasket or seal kit). But when he deploys the sidestand, it squeaks ...... what's wrong with this picture? I just got an e-mail from him and the bike is running very badly. Investigating, he found the left airbox and carb full of oil. I think he finally killed it, didn't take that long, just about a year and 2 months of neglect.

Back