Reasons not to rephase...

Sounds like it's time for some dyno charts Hugh. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to see the difference it makes.

Cost. And if you have to ask how much, your wife is probably looking over your shoulder, and you are in trouble.

Racers have re-phased, but the one I know, vintage road racer, that was doing well, had his blow up when the rotor let go locking up and destroying his engine in the process. Never found out if he rebuilt.

My 270 is very smooth when sitting on the center stand and revved up. As 360 it did a dance that could get her a spot on Dancing with Stars.

They say it sounds like a Ducati.

My son drives mine but he doesn't give me much feed back. He's a sport bike driver at heart and never drove the original version.

Last edited:
I like parallel twins.. I used to ride Brit twins,I switched to XS650's cos they're parallel twins but more reliable & vibe free..
I messed up an early Laverda 750sf by re-phasing it 15 years ago - it lost its 'soul' after fekking about with its natural 360 config' ...
But, saying that, Id probably re-phase one of my xs's again if I had loadsa free time -( ie. no wife & kids bills) just for the fun of it..
(a friend & I did one many moons ago that blew twice due to the welded cam failing..Never really got the chance to try it out on the road!)

Sounds like it's time for some dyno charts Hugh. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to see the difference it makes.

The only time you'll ever notice a power difference is when the entire engine combination is built as a package deal from the cams, carbs,exhaust and the important element of a long rod package"The Heads".When you start altering pistons speeds whether by changing rod lengths or cranks strokes, port air volumes and port velocities undoubtedly come into play to avoid choking engine at higher RPM's and cylinder filling to some what over come pumping loses that'll occur at lower RPM's . Yamaha knew quite well in hand of the power distribution differences between the 477 and 533 engine rods( Yes Yamaha produced two difference head versions of the XS for a very short period head) and due to the riding styles of the Europeans and roads , they got "533" combinations.

And there is a XS dirt tract racing team using the honda SR500 rods and to my knowledge,the other racers are being all choked out breathing the dirt and dust being slung by this team. It's just a matter of putting together a winning combination.

it lost its 'soul' after fekking about with its natural 360 config' ...

Kind of have to echo this, I too like parallel twins and I feel rephasing it will make the bike loose its soul. I also like the slow even idle of a parallel twin and the sound in general.

I don't want a modern bike, I want an old bike with character. Smoothing it out makes it loose it's character for the sake of performance and vibrations are fun :)

I'm a big fan of the XS650 but I cannot justify paying the frankly ridiculous prices for a T120 Bonneville just to use it as an around town bike and those are even more vibrational than the XS650.

when started riding in the very early 70s the only thing we could afford was the english 500 singles and later bonnies etc so thought that thumping action and vibrations was normal ,and then as got older the bigger jap 4s.the first time on a big 4...wow instant power and no vibration.then in the late 80s got my first xs650.in among all the other bikes had since (got a habit of changing often) the xs seems to appear often.the vibrations are just a part of their character.at the moment have 1xs on the road with 2 more as projects.one of which will be rephased (along with a lot of other changes) can see the rephase would be good for long distence riding as it should cut down a bit on rider fatique and as somebody wrote once vibrations cause heat which can affect performance and life of the motor

Even vibrations cost energy. My old barber used a 1/2hp hand vibrator after the chop job, pleasant, but sure used electricity.

Just got another idea, paint can attachment, paint mixing as you ride...

Back