Regulator rectifier issue

mike1968

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I am new to motorcycles and recently purchased a 1982 XS650 heritage special. When I bought it he battery was weak, so I bought a new battery after a few days the battery was dead. After looking on site and talking to others I replaced the brushes and charged the battery back up. Worked great for 4 days now dead battery. It looks like I am in need of regulator rectifier, but I don't haves manual to let me know what to look for. Any suggestions? Am I going in the right direction?

First, do a simple charging test. Start the bike and clip a volt meter to the battery. At idle you should be seeing somewhere around 12 to 12.5 volts, maybe a little bit more. Now rev the bike up to about 3K. The battery voltage should climb to like 13.5 to 14.5. If you get no change then you're not charging and have to figure out why. It could be one of several things - the rotor, the reg/rec, the stator, etc. Here's a guide with some tests to run .....

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/3461/curlys-charging-system-trouble-shooting

Thank you I will give it a try this weekend. I tried something similar after I installed the brushes. The voltage didn't jump to 14.5 on the battery when reving the engine. It stayed around 12.5. I have ordered a new regulator rectifier just in case. But, will go through these tests while I am waiting. Thank you for your quick response.

Last edited:
Back