Relocating front signals now they don't work

miller0613

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I unscrewed the front signals clipped the wires ran them through the back of the headlight reconnected them did the same with the black wires that I "asssumed" were the grounds and grounded themto the frame. With the gounds disconnected I had no rear running lights so I have to assume that those wires are the ground wire for the running lights and not the signals? So then where is the ground for the signal? help thanks

um, yeah dude, i'm confused too. when i pulled all my wires off i had them backwards at first but a quick unplug and replugging them into the opposite wires fixed my turn signals. if your lights were always on on the rear then you had something miswired from the start. maybe now you did it right, eh?

oh i get it now. the tail light is out. after reviewing the wiring diagrams for all years i'm noticing that the black wire that comes from the turn signal shouldn't be grounded directly to the frame. it should meet up with at least one other wire in all cases. you could have caused a circuit to be broken somewhere and that flipped the switch on your tail lights. what other lights are out that you have noticed? gauge light? signal indicator? headlamp? just the tail light?

Last edited:
Now having grounded the black wires to the fram the tail light works but still no signals. I was going over it in my head and do the black wires need to be grounded to the light itself. If so that may be the problem

that could be. my lights ground to themselves via the front headlight case for the fronts and the rear mounts for the back.

On your turn signal lights, there is one power wire that goes in the center of the mount bolt. The bulb grounds through the housing. I black wire with a ring connector, goes under the nut that holds the turn signal on. This black wire plugs into the harness ground in the headlight bucket.
You didn't need to clip either wire, they both unplug from the harness. Where and how did you relocate your turn signals?

On my '73 the wiring is exactly as you explained XSLeo, I removed the front turn signals by just unplugging the bullet connector of the main and grounds from each signal.

Thanks guys I got to switch around the wiring. I relocated the stockers under the neck with a bracket I made using the horn bolts. This bike is a 2nd bike I picked up to ride while I am doing a dropseat on the other one but I couldn't possibly ride it in stock form. I will get some pics up sometime on sunday thanks

Back