removing a Brass Fuel Inlet Fitting from a BS38?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a good carb set that is missing one of the brass fuel inlet fittings. I have a junk carb body, and I want to remove the fitting from it, and then JB-Weld it into the good carb set.

Anyone done this?
Any words of wisdom regarding removing the inlet? My thoughts are to put the stripped donor carb body into a 400 degree oven for about a half hour, and then grab the inlet with needle-nose pliers and lever it out. I even thought of Dremeling a round hole into the jaws of the needle-nose to prevent distorting the brass. Overkill?

I had the opposite problem when I tried to remove the fuel line from one of the carbs, the brass inlet pulled out of the carb. I doubt that the fuel line had ever been taken off that one.

My suggestion is to put a fuel line on it, clamp it really tight with a small hose clamp and try twisting and pulling at the same time. It sure didn't take much for mine to accidentily come out.

BTW, had good luck with the JB Weld. I sanded the inlet to rough it up, smeared a light coat of JBW on it (make sure you don't get it any place the fuel might touch it) and once into the carb body added some more around where the inlet hits the carb. Haven't had a leak yet.

My suggestion is to put a fuel line on it, clamp it really tight with a small hose clamp and try twisting and pulling at the same time.
Not a bad idea. I'm going to try it along with the 400 degree oven, unless some one has a better idea.
I do know they come out when you don't want them to. I am very careful whenever I remove a fuel line. I never just grab the line and pull on it anymore.

I got the inlet fitting out. It was very easy.
All I had to do was put the completely stripped down carb body into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. The fitting came right out. While I was at it, I also removed the cross-over fuel fitting, and the breather nipple found on the earlier carbs.

I did hose clamp a hose onto the fitting, but that was completely unnecessary. The aluminum body expands more than the brass fittings, and they came out effortlessly.

Back