Removing Front Fender

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Quick Question -

There's no need to replace the front fender with any sort of bracing, is there? i.e. can it just be unbolted and removed without worrying about the structural integrity of the font-end?

These front ends aren't the stiffest and flex even with the fender mounted. Remove it and they'll flex even more. I've tried fork braces on practically every bike I ever owned. On some they helped, on others not so much. On my 650, it really helped and made a difference I could feel. I just took a short ride on my buddy's 650 last weekend. He doesn't have a fork brace and I could tell.

If you're building some chopped up custom thing and only plan on putting from bar to bar, then it probably won't matter if you take the fender off. If you want a bike you can ride briskly and push hard through corners, leave the fender and add a brace.

Well, I really want to go with no fender for aesthetic reasons. I'd order up a fork brace, but I can't find one for my '73 TX650? Do they have a more common name or does anyone have a source?

Thanks,
Adam

You could always try riding the bike with and without the fender and see if you notice any difference. Right? I didn't notice any difference.

Of course. And I already pulled it off. But I got a little hammed by the time I got around to turning wrenches, though, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do some riding.

Back