Removing stock exshaust

Sammo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright the cold is here and i want to pull the engine out and am stuck here trying to get the pipes off. it seems like they are part of the frame. or both are together.. 1980 xs650g

Look underneath the engine, there is a cross pipe that attaches the pipes together. Trying putting the bike on the center stand and take the exhaust off as one unit.

also a bolt and slip joint with gasket holds the 2 sides together under there. loosen bolt rust buster blocks of wood big maul lots of tapping either the joint or the connecting pipe will come apart sooner or later. It can be removed all in one piece but splitting it is MUCH easier. It tangles with the center stand.
There are pipe to frame bolts under the rider foot pegs in addition to the brackets at the passenger pegs..

Hi Sammo,
your signature line sez "open pipes"
If you opened them like I opened mine by driving a pointed steel bar into the stock mufflers to puncture the baffles, the stock muffler crosspipe is still there.
It's joined in the middle with a clamp and a crush sleeve and that joint can be a right swine to undo.
You can make a little threaded rod, nut and tube jack to force the joint apart after you have removed every last fastener holding the exhaust in place and slathered the joints in penetrating oil.

Back