Retiredgentleman or any one else that has run this

You can use the Mikesxs coil # 17-6822 (4.5 ohms primary). No need for the dual lobe cam. Keep using the stock single lobe cam, and keep using both sets of points. Disconnect one of the black wires coming off the capacitor (condenser). Both points will use just the one capacitor. Both sets of points are tied together in parallel, wired to one side of the coil primary.
View attachment 96905
Also it would be a good idea to add a 10 amp fuse into the brown wire that feeds power to the Kill switch (engine stop switch).

Retiredgent---I only have two wires coming from my taillight as expected--as shown on your diagram you have that yellow running to the front and rear brake switches and to the taillight plus a brown to the taillight for power---is the ground basically the light being attached to the bike?

In the case of an aftermarket 2 wire tail/brake light, yes. But, you may need to provide a ground wire from the housing or fender to the frame. The original fender is rubber mounted so isn't grounded. The original tail/brake light had a 3rd wire, a ground wire, because of this.

Automobiles used the metal body as a ground return path, because it saved wires and saved money. I think some motorcycles did the same. However, since some motorcycles vibrate a lot, they rubber mounted many parts. The XS650 and other bikes cannot use the steel parts as a ground. Yet, I see aftermarket sellers, selling lights with no ground wire, which does not make sense to me. Always use a black wire from any electrics,on the bike, and have that wire run to a common black ground wire in the harness, or run to a common ground point that goes directly to the battery negative.

Back