Roadracer Build FINALLY finished

dwyatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My roadracer build is finally done! I assembled the motor with the final mods and got it running prior to heading back to work for the month. When I get home I still have to make adjustments to the carbs and suspension settings, but should be ready to take it to the track soon and give it a try.

The motor was bored for 77.5mm JE 10-1/2:1 pistons, Craig Weeks ported head, new valves/guides/springs, Megacycle 30 cam, 36mm Mikuni flat slide carbs, custom 2-1 header with Shell megaphone, and total loss ignition. The suspension has been totally changed with cartridge emulators and air assist in the forks, and the rear is now a raised cantilever design with Fox Airshox to improve the weight distribution. Both wheels were rebuilt with 18" ridged aluminum rims, dual disks and braided steel lines up front, Avon racing rubber all around. Rear-sets, clip-ons and roadrace fenders along with the gas tank from an XS750 complete the chassis. I am expecting a good handling machine.

I latched onto this project as something to do strictly for the fun of seeing how far out there I could take it, yet still retain period correct technology. I cheated a little on the flat slide carbs (Mikuni instead of Lectron) and hydraulic clutch actuator, but otherwise stayed pretty close. Had to go with the Kenny Roberts paint job, anything else would have be a sacrilige......
This is a link to another forum that has more of the build history that many of you have followed through the years

- http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3945 .

This project has been going on for over 3 years, building this has been a blast, but it's nearly time to take it to the track. I didn't do any baseline dyno work, but it was probably pretty normal for one of these bikes. Once I get the motor broken-in, I plan to put it on a dyno for final carb tuning and a chance to get a look at the performance numbers after all this work and money. I'm hoping for upper 60's on the HP and I've tried not to do anything to hurt the torque. I'll be running oxygenated race fuel in it, which should help the HP a bit.

I got LOTS of help from all the XS forums on-line, there are some truely good and knowledgeable people out there more than willing to help. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• XS700RR.jpg
    XS700RR.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 870
  • Final Motor.jpg
    Final Motor.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 605
  • RT Side.jpg
    RT Side.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 614
  • ports.JPG
    ports.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 603
  • LF Side.jpg
    LF Side.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 602
  • Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 630
  • Lifter.jpg
    Lifter.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC01714.jpg
    DSC01714.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC01712.jpg
    DSC01712.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC01723.JPG
    DSC01723.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Real nice work! Love the suttle touch's, like the shell covers & such. Question, are those rocker feet of the VW type? Are they available anywhere? So again, real nice.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A man and project after my own heart. I'm doing something remotely similar - Got to love the fuel tank. Making mine more streetable withthe tank and seat and GSXR 600 rear sets.

Bravo,
GJ

Congratulations mate, very fine effort! I shall (as soon as I get home tonight) pour a large frothy one, and have it in your general direction! :cheers:

very nice. I was wondering if you had problems getting that front sprocket on the output shaft? A friend of mine ordered one, and just wont go on. feels like a tad bit of filling would do it, but, wonder if that would damage it? his oroginal 16tooth sprocket slips on /off just fine.

The "elephant feet" were from a Porsche/VW, easy to find all over the net or eBay. They work great, just have to do a bit of grinding on the lifters to get them to fit. The wilder the cam, the more you have to grind. The 18T Mikes sprocket was a tight fit, but went on with a little tapping.

Half of you here have given guidence or advise throughout the build, so congratulations yourself! I hoisted more than a few adult beverages over this thing, but back to work now, no time for fun for 25 more days ......

I bought a small video camera for it, I'll post soon as I finally get it on the track. Folks riding those "new fangled" bikes are going to be amazed how fast blubber can fly ........

Attachments

• DSC01659.jpg
    DSC01659.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Back