Rt. 25 south out of Lexington,Ky

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it may take 1-2 hours longer than I-75 to get to the state line.
Is it worth it?

A little "busy" through Richmond and Berea, but really worth it south of Mt. Vernon. If you have the time, it's a lot nicer run than bombing down 75. Check the DOT or google maps for construction info though.

You might even plow 75 down to Mt. Vernon and then enjoy the really good part from there down. It takes you past EKU in Richmond and Berea College in (you guessed it!) Berea, and it can be pretty hectic during class changes. My younger brother went to EKU.

Looks like it may take 1-2 hours longer than I-75 to get to the state line.
Is it worth it?
It depends on your travel plans. Old US 25 south of Cincinnati is interesting until you get near Georgetown. If you are in that area at shift change you will be run over by traffic to and from the Toyota plant. Old 25 between Georgetown and Lexington should be avoided! Again, daily traffic, to and from Toyota. Old 25 south of Lexington at the Kentucky river, could be a problem. At one time the bridge was closed to traffic, I haven't been down there in a while so not sure if it's open. I would suggest getting onto i75, north of Georgetown, run i75, past Lexington down to Richmond, then get back onto old 25 and follow it south.

Ha ha. I ride that all the time. North, maybe not worth it. But south to the TN line, definitely worth it, especially this time of year. The bridge Purplezinger mentioned is open unless it's been closed recently. Never had any problems with it. One lane so come up slow. Very scenic crossing with good hills on both sides.

If you're in Lex, one ride you HAVE to take is out Richmond Road to Athens to Boonesborough. Get lunch at Halls on the River. Then you could go from Boonesborough and pick up 25 South in Richmond. That will avoid that bridge if it is in fact closed. In fact that's better than the pure 25 route with the bridge. If you're in Lex for awhile, take 52 from Bryan's Station Road to Blue Licks. A lot of it is like a one lane paved wagon road.

When you hit Cumberland Gap take a side trip of Pinnacle Mountain. Several full lock turns up a steep grade... Several good places to eat in Cumberland Gap.

Last edited:
Knowing WeekendRider, he probably zoomed off 10 minutes after posting and is in Arizona somewhere...
Not quite Arizona. I did zoom round Lexington for the day.
Found out it is the home of JIF peanut butter.
They take horses real seriously there. This week is the Paso Fino show.
And they have a school for vampires there.
And enjoyed the banjo picking of this fellow
http://www.oldmanluedecke.ca
later in the evening at the Woodsongs Old time radio hour.

XJ THANKS!! 418 is a super nice ride and the food is good on the deck at HAll's

25 south of Berea is nice some of the towns get congested. Not so much before then for the reasons mentioned by JD750Ace and Purplezinger. Currently residing at the MainStay in Alcoa, Tn
And the wifi sucks
ride safe.

Where did you pick up 25 and did you take it all the way to TN?

Back