.....rubber fell into spark plug hole...help please

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So yesterday as I was doing a valve adjustment, my buddy set a rubber washer on my tank, by some act of God it fell off and INTO the open spark plug hole. We then spent the night pulling the engine. The engine is in great running condition with the exception of what i think is a bad valve seat on one cylinder (getting oil in the exhaust). I am planning on hardtailing the bike and wanted to take care of the valve issue anyway so its no big deal, but i'm wondering if there's a way to get this washer out without pulling the hole thing apart to get at it. It is sitting on top of the piston as we speak.

Go to the hardware store and find the longest, thinnest needle nose pliers and give it a shot. Sure beats pulling the head.

Big tweezers maybe? How hairy are your girlfriend's eyebrows? :wink2:

~ Derek

Since it's rubber I wouldn't worry about it. If won't last long with the motor running and what's left of it will blow past the exhaust valve.

grabbertool.jpg

:thumbsup:

Use a shop vac, or regular vacuum like above.

I have a micro attachment for mine. It's used for keyboards and such. But if you don't want to go out and buy one. You could make some reducer's. Toilet paper roll's, what ever duct taped together. Tape on a piece of hose small enough to fit in the hole. Heck, you could probably just tape on your big hose. Leave the vacuum running while you pull the hose out of the cylinder just in case you just sucked on to it and didn't suck it up.

Yea man this ain't no big deal. At least it's rubber!

Worse comes to worse, turn it to TDC and you'll probably see it sitting there right on top. Then you can use a piece of wire to hook it out.

Go to a plce that sells fishing stuff. Look for a set of forceps. They are a long very skinny set of needle nose pliers. A fishing buddy might have a set to borrow. But if you plan on fixing a bad valve seat you will have the head of anyway. Excess oil in the exhaust could be a bad valve seal on the intake valve. Oil gets past the intake seal into the engine, then passes out the exhaust. This excess oil tends to foul the plug as it tries to burn this excess oil.
Leo

Make sure both valves are closed... compressed air in the plug hole.

But yeah, it's rubber, why bother. Just run it... e.g. burn it.

You're already burning oil, why not a little rubber too? And you think it smokes now, lol.

I've lost a rubber in the hole before. It'll work it's way out.

Wait! Just read the post! Piston near TDC with exhaust valve open, and hit the plug hole with the air nozzle!

Back