Running High octane 100++

xstwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone out there is buying gas at their local airport,racetrack et. Was just curious if there's a huge noticeable improvement in running 100+ octane without the damn ethanol that's destroying our bikes and cars both new and old.

plain and simple, if the motor isnt built to use the fuel, you gain little or nothing. Now if its a built motor and high compression and tuned properly, you can gain good power no doubt.

Ethanol doesn't ruin your engine. It's really quite good for it.

The same can't be said for substandard rubber pieces, of course.

Won't get too deep into this subject but to remind that XS 650's were designed & built to run on both higher octane gasolines and different chemistry than can routinely be found these days
Some of you may be interested in this subject (read the tutorial etc.) and maybe even give this product a try.....off highway of course.

http://www.batterystuff.com/fuel-treatments/

At the equivalent mix of 95 to 98 octane feel your old XS smooth out, quiet down and come alive! Blue

Last edited:
Yep what bluebiker said, mixing a little in with 93 will generally clean up throttle response and the bike will run slightly cooler. When I built my last race bike (modern GSX-R750) I ran it in on the dyno and tested power and temp with 93, Sunoco 100 (most race tracks have pumps), and VP U4. BIke ran 10 degrees cooler and made 2 more hp with Sunoco, and the oxygnated VP was good for 6.5hp at the wheel. I put some leftover from a dead can in my lawnmower and I thought the blade was going to fly off, the thing was hitting like 1000rpm higher than it would on pump, haha! You'll go broke running that shit though.

Back