Short legged on a standard

Shovel Jockey

Piano Tuna
Reaction score
Upstate South Carolina mountains, (Moonshiner 28)
I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam and weigh 200 lbs in riding gear. My 78 standard has the taller seat that came stock on the 77-79 standards. I am running a Bridgestone Spitfire 120/90-18 on the rear @ 26.6 inches dia. with the stock shocks set in the softest position. A Bridgestone Spitfire100/90-19 on the front @ 26.2 inches in dia. with the front forks set in their stiffest position. I found that this allowed the rear of the bike to be a little lower but raised the front & kept me from sliding forward on the seat.The bike rides nice but I would like to get my feet a little flatter on the ground to feel steadier at a standstill. I had rather not put shorter tires on as I like the way the bike is geared for the riding I do. Can I simply put a 1" shorter shock on the rear and it not affect the handling terribly? I could then drop the preload on the front forks and effectively lower the whole bike slightly. What is the standard shock length on a 78E? looks like 12.5 mikes offers a 11.5. Does this seem like a simple route to go? Joe

Last edited:
You can either do shorter shocks, 1" wont have much of an impact, or just shave your seat. Take the upholstery off, shave some of the foam, and re-upholster it, done!

Some people use Honda Rebel Shocks 10.5". Lower the front end to match and overall handling should be close to what you have now. It might even improve slightly.

12.5 was stock on my bike. I have a 30 inch inseam too. I put 11.5 inch shocks on and it helped a little but, I think 10.5 shocks would have been better. I shaved a little off my seat foam and narrowed it in the front and I can get my feet flat with some boots on. A grinder works great for shaving and reshaping your seat foam.

I also have a 30" inseam. These bikes are so light weight and easy to balance, I almost always only put my right foot down, flat, and lean the bike to the right a little.

Jockey I am the same dimentions as you only 10 lbs heavier. I use Spitfires 100/90 front and 110/90 rear. When completely at a stop I just lean my bike to one side or do not flat foot it. I also have 13.5 shocks for better handling. I used to ride a KLR it is a lot taller bike.

heavy soled boots will give a bit of leg length. I most always ride with boots but those times I have on running shoes I can tell my legs are shorter. (34" inseam and skinny so never a problem for me. don't be jelous, I've got loads of other problems.)

I have a Special II foam and cover on my standard '77D seat pan. This is lower, I wish it were higher. Cutting the sides of the foam tapering to the top gives more thigh clearance so your legs are not splayed when stradling the seat. Dropping the forks a bit will lower the bike and give a lighter steering rake like longer shocks. (not too far as the fender will foul on full compression). Shorter shocks will help too as will a 110x90 rear tire instead of a 120x90.

Tom

I put the shorter shocks from mikes 11.5s. Part #06-3608. Slid the fork tubes up into the trees until they are almost but not touching the handlebar. My inseam is 29.

I'm 5'5", 29 inch inseam and weigh 170lbs. My stock '82 is a tad too tall for my liking, but I'm use to it by now and can tip-toe both feet when stopped or plant one well. I plan to drop the shock 1". I'm tired of burning my legs on the pipes due to my pants riding up when I put my feet down. It ain't pretty.
My '81 has 10.5" shocks on it and it rides like a fence board, lol.

Not sure about the comparison of your Standard to my Special, but our physical size is about the same...5'9" @178 30-31 inseam. I put lower shocks on and also fabbed a glass pan to the rails, battery cover and rear fender to which I then surgically removed some of the metal seat pan- got rid of some high points- and then attached that to the glass pan. Shocks were lowered 1 3/4 inches and the seat mebbe an inch. I'm flatfooted on the ground now.

5ft 6 inches 28 inseam. My 75 I cut down the foam. The 81 is all stock. I can't flat foot either one. Same with the Harley. The little Honda I can.
I like the way the bikes handle as is. Lower cuts into the lean angle.
Leo

Back