Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

Fat , drunk and stupid computers? 😄
View attachment 240204
Think thats been done

Could be more like this

when to much money makes people think they are God....................Check out this movie
1681094713547.png

1681094471110.png
1681094848668.png

If the Zuckerbergs and Nadellas of this world are any indication, AI inteligence becoming self aware and taking over is a long, long way off. And of course there will be so many bugs that AI will suffer more than we will. Everytime my computer is updated, it takes me an hour to fix all the fups and reset my settings to what they were.
If our computers we use at home are any indication of where AI is going, I'm not at all worried. Whatever happens, people will be gainfully employed fixing all the fups.
And of course there is always the off switch!

And of course there is always the off switch!
When I was a kid - yes, even in them far-off days people were speculating about computers taking over - I used to take comfort from the thought, 'there's always the off switch.'

But after a career in IT it's kinda simplistic to think we can just power all computers down when there's so much IT embedded in all sorts of things including all critical infrastructure.

It's fun/frightening to speculate about the nightmare scenarios, for example AI developing self-awareness and taking over with it's own agenda or deciding very reasonably that humankind is a serious PITA and should be restrained or even tidied up. Swept under the carpet of evolution. Provides plenty of material for sci-fi film makers and also very earnest academic discussion about the direction we want AI to head in and the limitations we should put in place.

Is it even possible to set limits?

But for a very reasonable review of where we are now in the 2020s with dependence on AI and a good discussion of the benefits and pitfalls, in areas like criminal sentencing, reviewing biopsy slides and much else, I would recommend the wonderful Helen Fry's little book Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine.

Fry looks at the prevalence of algorithms in our daily lives - shopping, selecting movies & music tracks and much, much more. Her book has been called a story of the good, the bad and the downright ugly of modern machines, asking how much we should rely on them over our own instincts, and what kind of world we want to live in.

Early Sci-Fi writers wrote of silicon-based monsters invading Earth. We are looking at silicon-based monsters from Earth. In the 60's, we had 2001 and Colossus : The Forbin Project. The 70's had Westworld and The Questor Tapes. 1984, the original Terminator. As technology catches up, and science fiction becomes science fact, you would think we would have learned by now, not to be messing with genies we won't be able to put back into the bottle. At least we don't have to worry about alien attacks. According to all the movies, we win!

I think it’s inevitable that man & machine will become one, perhaps that was always the inevitably?

We’re really not far off it. Not when a huge swathe of the population spend the majority of their time connected to a device, how long before rather than a phone or watch it’s a chip you have implanted and then all that information is behind your eyes. At this point we’ve become one and who’s to say where the AI ends and the HI begins?

Daniel.

I think it’s inevitable that man & machine will become one, perhaps that was always the inevitably?

We’re really not far off it. Not when a huge swathe of the population spend the majority of their time connected to a device, how long before rather than a phone or watch it’s a chip you have implanted and then all that information is behind your eyes. At this point we’ve become one and who’s to say where the AI ends and the HI begins?

Daniel.

Now……
84AC1C8A-4CFC-462E-A4B1-02D63D9B6D3E.jpeg

The future? Resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated.
6FDA7BA9-E223-4DCB-AA63-A170A2D033E3.gif

I have a few synthetic implants: Hips, fingers, toes, none of them are intelligent though, none screwed in place by inteligeent beings and they certainly dont make things easier or better!

Last edited:

Y'know, Daniel, I think that might be the real nightmare.

"A.I." ? Naturally I disapprove of rapid change, as it creates chaos, disorder, poverty and other baddiethings, as we see every day...

Also naturally I disapprove of "A.S." (artificial stupidity)

I fear AS much more than AI.

These are twins..first create stupid, then stupid creates monster.

Like the phucking bomb, AS and AI create catastrophe.

And the Sages, and even Disney (!) warn us>
and >

Sages? Yeah...the story of the Golum and the magic words to stop the monster.
Then there's Shelly and Frankenstein... Mel Brooks >

All of these things amount to "Phuckaround and findout."

Best!

Current AI news
https://thedailyupside.createsend1.com/t/t-e-fuhkuiy-jlkhiltduh-jy/

Tech
Bloomberg and Amazon Jump On the ChatGPT Train
There’s a ghost in the machine, or is it a bot in The Terminal?
On Thursday, a Bloomberg official told CNBC that the company plans to weave ChatGPT-style software into its Bloomberg terminal product. The same day, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy announced the company — which has slashed other parts of its business along with 27,000 jobs — is “investing heavily” in generative AI.
Piling On
Bloomberg has built its own software rather than relying on OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT. This means it’s been trained on a narrower set of data than ChatGPT, the idea being this will make its generative AI tool better-versed in the world of finance. Probably a good call, given AI tools have so far proven a bit slapdash when it comes to talking about financial matters, or even basic math.
Amazon’s adoption of generative AI is broader, which is not surprising considering the company’s everything, everywhere, all at once approach to business:
• Jassy hinted that generative AI could be integrated into the customer experience, but played coy on exactly how. We’d suggest having AI come up with ways to make Amazon’s website stop recommending the same thing you already bought over and over and over again.
• Even if Amazon ends up producing an underwhelming generative AI product for consumers, it’s making another play to target the companies taking part in the same gold rush. AWS, Amazon’s cloud computing wing, is announcing a suite of tools to persuade developers to use its services to build their own large language models and generative AI tools.
Underpinning the infrastructure of the internet has worked well for AWS so far, and it looks like Jassy is following that playbook, as running tools like ChatGPT takes a phenomenal amount of computing power.
“Some statistics suggest that ICT (Information and communication technology) contributes more to climate change than aviation globally and that the needed energy for AI has increased an estimated 300,000 times between 2012 and 2018,” Professor Sandra Wachter, an expert in AI, told The Daily Upside, adding “Other numbers suggest that one training session for ChatGPT requires the same annual energy consumption as 126 Danish homes in a year.”
Eurotrashed: While competitors try to ape OpenAI’s success, regulators overseas are cracking the whip. Italy, which blocked ChatGPT last month citing privacy concerns, sent a list of demands to the company that it must comply with by April 30 or remain blocked. Meanwhile, the French privacy watchdog is looking into complaints it’s received about ChatGPT, and the EU’s overarching data protection board has assembled a task force dedicated to policing it.
- Isobel Asher Hamilton

Last edited:
The FTC just issued a warning about the old phone scam where you get a call from a supposed relative saying they are in trouble , send money. Scammers are now using AI to imitate a loved ones voice. All they need is a voice sample lifted from a social media account. 🙄

“As if there weren't already enough layoff fears in the tech industry, add ChatGPT to the list of things workers are worrying about, reflecting the advancement of this artificial intelligence-based chatbot trickling its way into the workplace.
So far this year, the tech industry already has cut 5% more jobs than it did in all of 2022, according to Challenger, Gray & Christmas.
The rate of layoffs is on track to pass the job loss numbers of 2001, the worst year for tech layoffs due to the dot-com bust.
As layoffs continue to mount, workers are not only scared of being laid off, they're scared of being replaced all together. A recent Goldman Sachs report found 300 million jobs around the world stand to be impacted by AI and automation.”

A dissenting voice says,

“AI shouldn't ignite fear among employees because these tools will help people and companies work more efficiently, according to Sultan Saidov, co-founder and president of Beamery, a global human capital management software-as-a-service company, which has its own GPT, or generative pretrained transformer, called TalentGPT.
It's already being estimated that 300 million jobs are going to be impacted by AI and automation," Saidov said. "The question is: Does that mean that those people will change jobs or lose their jobs? I think, in many cases, it's going to be changed rather than lose."

🙄 Oh yeah, cause when has automation and technology ever caused anyone to lose their job?
I remember when I first began working at a big mail processing center for the Post Office. There were thousands of people working 24/7 in that building. 20 years later I went back and the place is mostly just automated machines with a handful of electronic technicians and mechanics to keep the machines churning, they even turned the building lights down so low you could hardly see!
Remember bank tellers? Cashiers at grocery stores and Home Depot? Being able to get a business on the phone instead of automated talking robots who don’t understand what you’re saying?
And have you seen all the jobs at automotive assembly plants provided by AI? It’s a real boon to humanity!
4F1F456F-C718-4378-86D8-B52DD8305D38.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if "AI" itself requires as prerequisite condition stupid individuals with disproportionate power in order to give birth to AI, and of course then even more stupid people would be "curated" into becoming even stupider, as power despises competition... Many say that it was stupid to build the bomb, and it did turn out badly...they spewed radioactive krap everywhere, and it's still giving people diseases... 1/2 life uranium > 1/2 a million years. Deeper, is it the case that when one AI is built, then others become inevitable...as was the case with the bomb?

Staying away from the affairs of criminals, grafters and blackmailers that arrange the destractings of the actors and stages called "politics"... we may assume that our inscrutable Asiatic Brothers, whose empire is thousands of years old, and our Slavic Brothers, whose empire is many hundreds of years old...taking into account that there is considerable tension in the present time and noting that these empires are technologically fully capable...and then there's also India... This is an historical observation. I pay no heed to the circus.

Altogether, I wonder, will there be 4 (or more) bigbig "AI" "creatures? AI-C, AI-I, AI-R, and AI-A? Geewhiz, I sure hope they can find Peace...but what would it cost?

Good point above that things are already past stopping the AI invasion, as I understood it. Industry is fully infiltrated with processors etc, and so are the people (like the apprentice millwrights I've seen, walking around blinded by a pixelated gadget. Stupidificated and zombie-like), and almost everybody else in between.

Best!

I'll take what comes, perhaps it's fated...and anyway, it's like sunrise, ain't no stopin' it.

Pandora's Box is already open. Best we can hope for now is real, tangible safeguards.... though I have no idea what that'll mean in practice. EDIT: or if it's even possible now.

Alex Hollings goes into more detail on the AI being developed by/for the Air Force. Does remind me of SkyNet... but who knows... :shrug:
Like we have any say in the matter...

Last edited:
BBC Radio 4's Today program this morning discussed James Barrat's book, Our Final Invention which was published ten years ago. Barrat's book introduces the notion of artificial super-intelligence, when the machines become orders of magnitude more intelligent that humans, recursively re-programming themselves in directions we will no longer be aware of or even understand. Once that ASI has evolved, it will all be over for lesser intelligences, like ours.

The people in the studio, sorry no can remember, said the amazing thing is just how fast AI has progressed since the book was published. For example, the generative pre-trained transformer - GPT - tools today base their learning on datasets at least 100 million times as large as ten years ago. 'Basically, they're just feeding in the entire internet to give these powerful platforms data to learn from giving the AI a level of predictive power that has never been seen.'

The conclusion was that government-level regulation is needed to control and direct the extent and goals of AI development. But with the warning that it may already be too late.

Last edited:
Back