Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

There's a lot of synthetic text to voice on yootoob. poor cadence and miserable syllable/word accent makes it nasty to listen to.
Run into AI web entries a lot when looking up arcane subjects. It starts out sounding good then a paragraph or two in you realize it's regurgitated garbage with little or no content, grr.

Yes to both! I can’t stand those fake voices and as for AI generated articles, I have a news app that I use primarily for local news and they have tons of little “ space filler “ articles, just so the news feed doesn’t appear so empty
( my opinion 😄) , anyways the articles are non informative and nonsensical and you see a little disclaimer at the bottom stating it was AI generated. :doh:

Run into AI web entries a lot when looking up arcane subjects. It starts out sounding good then a paragraph or two in you realize it's regurgitated garbage with little or no content, grr.
Yep. Several times in the past year I've run into this crap. At first I thought it was just consolidators of information gleaning stuff from sources and making shit up to fill in the blanks, but there was a pattern forming...
Then I twigged it was AI, and it's fairly characteristic (for now) in its structure of mixing good info with crap. It will get better, but for now it's just unreliable junk.

Any of you guys ever read Amazon customer reviews? I've noticed a pattern recently.... multiple positive reviews with absolutely perfect syntax, no misspelling... like it was written by an English major.
Is it possible an engilsh major bought a brake master cylinder for his '05 van? I suppose. Is it possible about 20-30 of 'em did? I'm doubtful. Is it possible they're all AI generated reviews? That's my guess.

Any of you guys ever read Amazon customer reviews? I've noticed a pattern recently.... multiple positive reviews with absolutely perfect syntax, no misspelling... like it was written by an English major.
Is it possible an engilsh major bought a brake master cylinder for his '05 van? I suppose. Is it possible about 20-30 of 'em did? I'm doubtful. Is it possible they're all AI generated reviews? That's my guess.
A modest bugbear is the AI box summarising reviews. That's taken care of by element blocking in UBlock.

I’ve given this a lot of thought and tried to listen to a lot of conversation on the topic.

My takeaway is that AI could be the tool that advances our civilisation into the next stage of progression, by this I mean that it could he immeasurably beneficial for our understanding of physics, material sciences etc… perhaps this is how we as a species manage to navigate the galaxy.

The flip side (dark side) is when human ideology is coded into its early development. Furthermore we have a very real and potent tendency to open Pandora’s box without any real thought to the ramifications. If appropriate sanctions and restrictions are set in place in its infancy than perhaps the risks are negated but unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be the pattern of behaviour (read foresight & wisdom) we display so I fear we may be creating our own demise. My figures may not be exact but approximate so please correct me if I’m wrong but it took decades to implement mandatory seat belts in cars and I think this is a more troubling issue for humanity.

Rant over, hopefully not too incoherent, it’s late and I’m deeply concerned about this issue, I’m worried about the path that we’re on.

Daniel.

QUOTE="Mailman, post: 832551, member: 26118"]
Me too. It’s not so much AI itself but how human beings will pervert and abuse it. 🤔
[/QUOTE]

Especially when the people currently coding this software harbour leftist/Marxist ideologies. All paths seem to lead to destruction.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Me too. It’s not so much AI itself but how human beings will pervert and abuse it. 🤔

Especially when the people currently coding this software harbour leftist/Marxist ideologies. All paths seem to lead to destruction.

Daniel.
[/QUOTE]
I don't play with it but some of the responses I have seen are nothing more than convoluted word salad.
Garbage in, garbage out.

Daniel.
[/QUOTE]
This is how the Problem is hijacked from addressing the problem to blaming an ideology. The debate is now their fault, when even if measures were put in place, a person with the resources, or a rogue state, or just human nature, where someone decides not to conform, for whatever their reason, or abide by the rules or protections put in place are going to develop and push the boundaries on AI.

I have read a few comments that mention Musk's comments stating how AI could b problematic for the human race. There is no way I can trust a billionaire who relies on AI for his livelihood in his autominios cars and Space program. Who knows what he is developing for the space program and colonization of mars. Can someone with that much money who relies on AI development b trusted.

Rocket man built his nuclear bombs and intercontinental rockets under heavy sanctions and completely thumbed his nose at nuclear rules. As a race we cannot conform to a concensis. It is not in our nature.

Without someone in total control, nefarious people will do nefarious things. It’s inevitable.
But who would you trust with that power?
Unplug, learn to be self-sufficient. Teach your children well.
Buckle up, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Damn I missed Stewart.

Oh boy did he hit the nail on the head. He was being funny, but he was right on. AI is being sold as the great savior of humanity, but in reality it is replacing us. I have always had a love / hate relationship with emerging technologies in general. On one hand I love the conveniences they add but it always seems to come at the cost of humans in the workforce, just ask bank tellers, cashiers , telephone operators, small business owners, autoworkers and on and on……big businesses will always choose profit over having employees.

Last edited:
An interesting little film on humanoid robots -

The commentators in the studio appear to be very impressed by such details as the vocal fry in the robot's voice. Radio Four this week was talking about a robot exhibition where one of the humanoid machines could vary its facial expression to show concern or humour and they said that you really feel empathy with the robot. AI, they said, is really coming of age.

The robot in this film responds to the query 'Can you give me something to eat?' with vocal output 'I'm on it!' before picking up the apple.

I will point out that the visual interpretation, manipulation of objects - placing a cup in a drying rack - is presumably limited to a very narrow domain. How would the robot respond to 'Could you go to the fridge, see what's there and make me a meal?'

I'm not saying you couldn't program the robot to be able to deal with the more complex request. Given time and money, you certainly could. Maybe you could get the robot to bring you a selection of eatables. But could you ever get to the point where a sceptical observer believes that the robot understands the request, understands the environment and can make novel decisions about how to respond to any request, even ones it has not been asked before?

And what will the robot do in the absence of the human making the requests? How is that likely to compare with the actions taken by a bored child or teenager after the adult leaves the room?

Details that seem to impress commentators rely on fairly easy tricks.

I wrote a very simple AI program using Prolog back in the late 1980s. The assignment was to write a program that could recognise in a limited way whether a string of words formed a syntactic sentence or not. Words were classed as nouns, verbs etc. But I took the thing a step further and let the program answer questions. Questions had to be about US Navy ships, and the Prolog could interrogate a simple dB of ships facts. So you could type in 'How long is the USS Nimitz?' or 'What type of missiles are carried by the USS Ohio?' and the answer would be provided. But when you asked a question it could not find the answer for, such as 'Where is the USS Gerald R Ford?' I had the program output 'That information is classified.' People ascribed the simple program a much higher level of AI than it deserved.

Last edited:
So……I started this thread without having any first hand experience with using it. I know that it is being used in the background , running invisibly , in many tech related and everyday uses.

But today……I actually spent time having a little Q + A with one. And it was a little weird and surprising. I was on the search engine Bing. I was looking for information and photos of the region of Namibia Africa called the skeleton Coast.
I found lots of what I was looking for, but then I noticed at the top of the page……the word Copilot. I clicked on it and the screen instantly began typing a summary of Namibias Skeleton Coast, faster than I could read it.

So then I realized that Microsoft Copilot was a question and answer format for Artificial Intelligence. It’s not like a typical search engine, it doesn’t show you numerous results on a bunch of different web sites, you ask a question or give it a command and it instantly spits out a result. And I have to grudgingly admit, it’s pretty damn good.

Here are just a few examples of things I threw at it and got an instantaneous result, I gotta admit, it’s got me thinking about more complex questions for it. Something that requires creativity or is subjective instead of just fact gathering.
IMG_6951.png

IMG_6952.png

IMG_6953.png

Back