Side cover retainers

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The side covers on my newly acquired ‘79 Special were missing the retaining knobs. The po gave me a set of knock off knobs but I read they aren’t very good quality so I
80FCD6E2-5201-407C-8CB6-1EDCE6B2B97E.jpeg
DEA66459-9F68-4748-947D-C28667F423F9.png
thought I’d try to mount them a different way. I recall reading a couple of posts where diffrent methods and hardware were used. Couldn’t find what I thought I read in a forum search. Any recommendations? Are there any tips or tricks for installing the grommet (with steel insert - picture one on the left)?

Can someone ID the grommets in the last pic. The bike came with several of these but I’m thinking they might not be for this bike.

The grommet in your picture is for plastic side covers and not your bike.
I have seen a clip nut used for yours with a bolt through it.
1642460937517.jpeg

I believe someone on here installed rivnuts and used bolts.

Another forum member was making replacement latches.

The grommet in your picture is for plastic side covers and not your bike.
I have seen a clip nut used for yours with a bolt through it.
View attachment 205545

I believe someone on here installed rivnuts and used bolts.

Another forum member was making replacement latches.
That may work. Need to check clearances on frame thx.

I did this... on the 1981. Used old grommets from trolling motor mount, pieces of gas line, a drill, and a spare wing nut and bolt.
Kinda of hillbilly but it holds tight !

Attachments

• yamaha xs650 side cover 1.JPG
    yamaha xs650 side cover 1.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 142
  • yamaha side cover 2.JPG
    yamaha side cover 2.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 126
  • yamaha xs 650 side cover 3.JPG
    yamaha xs 650 side cover 3.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 134
  • yamaha 650 side cover 4.JPG
    yamaha 650 side cover 4.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 123
  • yamaha xs 650 side cover 5.JPG
    yamaha xs 650 side cover 5.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 140
  • yamaha xs side cover 6 .JPG
    yamaha xs side cover 6 .JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 141
I did this... on the 1981. Used old grommets from trolling motor mount, pieces of gas line, a drill, and a spare wing nut and bolt.
Kinda of hillbilly but it holds tight !
Nothing wrong with that. What sized bolt is that? Did you have to drill out the hole in the frame to allow clearance for the bolt? For me, easy access isn’t a real high priority as I wouldn’t be going behind the covers frequently. That said, tool-less free access would be good.

Nothing wrong with that. What sized bolt is that? Did you have to drill out the hole in the frame to allow clearance for the bolt? For me, easy access isn’t a real high priority as I wouldn’t be going behind the covers frequently. That said, tool-less free access would be good.
No clearance issues. Plug and play.
I don't even know the bolt size but its the same as a battery terminal on a trolling motor. Thats where the wing nut came from.
The nipple broke off the lower part of the cover. I drilled a hole there. The grommets are generic. you can get 100 for $10 at Harbor Freight various sizes. The pieces of the fuel line go over the studs on the bike to hold grommet tightly. The spring was something I saved to use to gerrymander something like this. The wingnut and spring lets you tighten all of it down. I love going in the tool shed and finding bits and pieces to fix things..

No clearance issues. Plug and play.
I don't even know the bolt size but its the same as a battery terminal on a trolling motor. Thats where the wing nut came from.
The nipple broke off the lower part of the cover. I drilled a hole there. The grommets are generic. you can get 100 for $10 at Harbor Freight various sizes. The pieces of the fuel line go over the studs on the bike to hold grommet tightly. The spring was something I saved to use to gerrymander something like this. The wingnut and spring lets you tighten all of it down. I love going in the tool shed and finding bits and pieces to fix things..
Thanks. I‘ll have a look today to see what pieces I have “in stock”.

Keep in mind @OLD ROOKIE has modified plastic side covers for his 1981. They are much different than your 1979 metal side covers. The attach system when stock is completely different. You will adjust accordingly.

Keep in mind @OLD ROOKIE has modified plastic side covers for his 1981. They are much different than your 1979 metal side covers. The attach system when stock is completely different. You will adjust accordingly.
No,, they are OEM except for the filled in pinholes that held the xs650 badges on. The nipple broke off and the hole was drilled. The bolt goes through OEM grommet through the back and out through the front. They will never fall off again.

Back