Sitting in a Garage since 1995

Jim May

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need a shop manual, parts manual and a reliable source for parts. Have a 1980 XS 650 Special that's been sitting in a garage for 15 years. Only 2,490 miles on the odometer. The bike belongs to a good friend that has helped me out many times. Time for me to help him. I intend to replace just about all of the rubber, rebuild the brake and wheel cylinders as well as the carbs. New tires, too.
I am a Triumph - Norton type so I figure the Yamaha ought to be just about the same to work on. However, I did do some work on as XS 650 back when they were new. Great Bikes!
Please offer advise.
Jim in Maine.

Jim, where in Maine? I'm Downeast (duh...) about halfway between Ellsworth and Milbridge.

I just picked up an '80 parts bike, so may be able to help if you need anything.

I'm in Norridgewock. The bike was dropped and it has a few bits that need replacing. Once I get a parts manual I'll be able to speak intelligently about the needs.

Several websites exist for OEM parts, e.g., bikebandit - they have all the parts fiches that you can use to find part numbers, assembly sequence, etc. Spend some time with the tech section of this site - it's got a good primer on what to look for in a bike that hasn't been run in a long time. Also there's an outstanding carb guide that explains how to clean and adjust the Mikuni carbs used on these bikes - think surgically clean.

Check out this link.

has links to online manuals and links throughout that enhance and update info for the XS at the top of each chapter in the posted manual. Some of the links are not found in the tech menu.

Use the Tech menu as well and google search top left on each page

Would also help if your bike was properly identified.

2 models in 1980. Special and Special 2.

2 different bikes cosmetically, frame lugs and mounts, swing arm/Wheels and brake component, differences.

Will help if you purchase gear.

Pics.

Well now, that's useful information. The bike's SN is 2FO-213859. It is Cardinal Red, if I'm reading some of the sites I've visited properly.

This may explain why there is no reference to a rear master cylinder.

How do I get a parts manual that is correct?

Good luck Jim. Super low miles that's great. Check out the "similar threads" section below too it does a good job of surfacing info.

I posted a link.

There would be little information your require that is not in that link.

I suggest you do some reading. Buy a manual, (seeing as you wont look up the online ones), then get back with questions.

Back