Snowmobile chain info?

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, who needs snowmobiles down here in SC? :laugh:

Here's the deal: I am gathering the parts to build an A Modified autocross and hillclimb car. Unless I want the thing to understeer and plow like a tractor I need to run a Torsen differential which requires lubrication, it's best for it to run in an oil bath, running it in the open creates a vast number of sealing problems. It can be done, but talk about a PITA... that also creates unequal driveshaft length etc problems.

So to keep the rotation directions correct I need to run a chain drive gearbox and it looks like a Hy Vo chain inside is the deal with a 530 from the engine to the gearbox. I can find Hy Vo chain in industrial supply places, but the sprockets are a PITA. They jump straight from 42 to 57 to 76 teeth, no in betweens. 42's too small, 57 and 76 are too big (limited amount of space).

So I found some 3/4" wide snowmobile sprockets which are available in 46 tooth, which might do just what I want. I'm concerned about the power handling capability, though, I will be pushing ~150 HP (R1 Yamaha motor) through this thing to a set of 8" or 9" wide slicks. The Team Aftermarket and EPI sites just say 'high tensile strength' but don't give any specs. Morse says 5,950 pounds for 3/8 pitch 3/4 wide chain and 8,500 for 1 inch but that's industrial chain, not powersports stuff. Don't want to use a 'silent' chain, the capacity is something like 2/3 that of the Hy Vo.

Any of you Northern types able to shed some tensile strength and HP capacity light for me? Does anyone make a 1" wide Hy Vo conversion kit?

What is the chain pitch for your snowmobile sprockets? If they are the same as 530 drive chain you could get the sprockets cut to 3/8 wide. That's all the bike that engine came out of uses.
Most industrial chains are not designed for the high speeds that bike drive chains run at. They run at a slower and a steady speed with very little shock load. In your application the chain will be stressed by severe shock loads as well as high speeds.
The seller of the sprockets you found should sell the proper chain for those sprockets.
Leo

The Hy Vo chain is a 'link belt' design. It's a 3/8" pitch from what I can glean.

4166.jpg

Borg Warner and Ramsey both make the chain and list specs for the industrial version (it's referred to as #303) but no one seems to list specs for the powersports version. It's rated at much higher feet per minute and horsepower than industrial roller chain but I'm still wondering if the 3/4" wide HyVo will be tough enough. I'm considering running 2 3/4" chains side by side too but for cost/space reasons I'd like to stick with single wide. There's not enough room in my gearbox to run #530's side by side, I had considered that too.

Power transmission #50 and bike #530 are the same dimensionally but as you pointed out there is a vast difference in the power capacity. I'm wondering if the same is true of the industrial vs. powersports Hy Vo, too. For all I know the powersports version may be the same exact thing as the industrial but the various Web sites don't say.

Some of these snowmobiles crank 240 turbocharged HP through a 3/4 Hy Vo chain into a 15 inch wide track, it's an upgrade from the stock roller or silent chains which are known to fail. So I think it'll be enough but it would be nice to know for sure.

Run a 15 plate width setup amd your golden. We put 300+ HP to these chains with no issues on asphalt drag sleds.

Posted via Mobile

Back