South West USA Camping are any campgrounds available

Funny I've been looking at a 76 Alfa Spyder!

Turn your gaze away before it's too late. You don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Hello my name is Jack and I have the fatal Alfa addiction

If you must then look for a post 70's model with Bosch injection. Along with the fuel injection comes a modern fuse box.

The earlier cars used the early vw style ceramic fuses and were a nightmare in the electrical system. That 76 has Spica mechanical fuel injection that has a thermocouple that was $500 back in the 80's and failed after 10 years or so in service. so most have now have weber carbs.

On the other hand the Bosch fuel injected cars were pretty reliable and I drove my 85 from Houston to Key West to spend Christmas non stop in a ice storm. Drove it around the Keys for two weeks and then home with no problems . Great car.

Last edited:
While in Texas it would be interesting to visit "Starbase, Texas"

When the scientists and engineers and Germans started pouring into Huntsville, AL it caused quite a stir. Would have been interesting dynamics to visit

Back in 2009, I exit Fredericksburg's Verienkirche with an ol' German rancher friend of mine, and see this odd fellow posing in front of the building, dressed up as a Bavarian in lederhosen, prancing in front of a video camera. He's yelling "Willkommen", but pronouncing the "W" as a "W". As I stroll by, I yell back "Willkommen", pronouncing it as "Villkommen" (W pronounced as V).

He yells back to his camera crew "Cut, cut, cut!", then scampers over to me, asking for some impromptu German pronunciations. Very friendly fellow, we chat for a bit, then he scampers back and resumes his video thing.

It was Chet Garner, doing one of the first of his video series "The Daytripper", covering Fredericksburg Texas.

I'm standing off-camera to the right.
FRED_TRIPFEAT.jpg

Chet's Daytripper series has since become a Texas icon.

You could spend some considerable time going thru his "Trip Guides" on his website.

https://thedaytripper.com/

Tombstone, Bisbee I recommend the Copper Queen mine tour and a walk around The Copper Queen hotel Have a local Electric Beer. Supersition Mt park. Maybe you'll find the "Lost Dutchman mine". Old Tucson is closed. Tom Mix Memorial reststop of AZ 79 is a local stop for me. You never know who you will meet. Colosal Cave for the cave and on the property is a restored CCC post. Patagoina. Small town but It's a neat little place. A bar that in a stone building that has been open since the mid thirties. Or dusted since the 60's. Butterfly sanctuary. PIGS gas station. RV parks are not hard to find anywhere in AZ. Daytime temps are reaching the 80's here in Tucson. Update: check out WWWRideArizona.net

Last edited:
2M says c’mon down...and bring your chainsaw, it’ll be fun...really! :whistle: You can roast weenies on the bonfires.

Oh, yeah, forgot that one. Thanx Mailman.

Yes, you can saddle-up next to a cozy bonfire.
20210307_Bonfire.jpg

And totally incinerate your wieners.

Some sobering news.
Just about all the Oak trees down here look to be dead.
20210307_OakTrees.jpg

Some folks are thinking (hoping) that they simply withdrew, and entered dormancy.
If so, we may not know until May/June if any survived.
Ongoing cleanups, not a pretty sight.

There's still folks dealing with power outages, no water...

Oak Trees? You calling them trees? We have black berry bushes taller than those lol..
They'll should be okay after a freeze I'd guess ;)

I think it's a miracle that we have any trees at all.
Limestone bedrock out here, with only about 3-4" soil atop that. Tree roots don't really go down, they sprawl out quite a distance.
TreeRootProtZone.jpg

The drought of 10 years ago was pretty hard on them, not to mention the ongoing "Oak tree Wilt". Pretty stressed out...

I think it's a miracle that we have any trees at all.
Limestone bedrock out here, with only about 3-4" soil atop that. Tree roots don't really go down, they sprawl out quite a distance.
View attachment 186505

The drought of 10 years ago was pretty hard on them, not to mention the ongoing "Oak tree Wilt". Pretty stressed out...

That’s what we would call scrub oak, here in Arizona. You’re right, they’re more like big shrubs. Our desert trees are very similar, due to very small amount of natural rain, the roots spread out very shallow just below the surface, so as to immediately soak up even a small amount of rain. Their natural growth habit is more like a giant bush than a tree, with branches that go all the way to the ground. We plant them in our yards and prune off all the low branches, forcing them to take on a more tree like shape. The flaw with that , however, is now the tree becomes taller and top heavy, combine that with a shallow root system and they have a tendency to topple over when we get a big storm.
BC7902E2-086A-4588-9858-AC20B797A1A4.jpeg

I am compelled to weigh in on the Alamo. Don't do it! Been to the Alamo, and I just completely don't get it. Snoozeville. There are so many better things to do. Best to steer clear of San Antonio. And Houston and Dallas. And Austin, for that matter.
A city that I do recommend is Marfa. From Marfa, the road to the Rio Grande is considered the most scenic in Texas. Then you take the river road through Big Bend Ranch State Park and on to the National Park -- also considered the most scenic drive in Texas.

Back